We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinatown. More than food?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
Chinatown. More than food?
Save

Besides eating, is there anything else to see/do in Chinatown?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
38 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Chinatown. More than food?
Save

Arts, crafts, herbal /medicinal stores, groceries, etc. Yes there is plenty.

chicago
Level Contributor
12,647 posts
28 reviews
42 helpful votes
2. Re: Chinatown. More than food?
Save

We like taking the water taxi there. You can explore the park, kayak or geocache. The old shops on the south side are fun to walk through. No need to spend an entire day there but definitely a solid half day.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
240 posts
3. Re: Chinatown. More than food?
Save

Keep in mind that Chinatown is not an “ attraction “ per se. It’s a working class neighborhood. Some people enjoy it and others don’t care for it. I think it’s worth a 2-3 hour visit.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
21,583 posts
137 reviews
98 helpful votes
4. Re: Chinatown. More than food?
Save

Oh, yes. The architecture on Wentworth Street is worth photos.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Chinatown. More than food?
Save

I will be there for a few days around Thanksgiving for the German xmas market. I was thinking i could get Chinese food ON Thanksgiving and seeing whatever else I can in the area. I LOVE authentic ungentrified neighborhoods! So Chinatown sounds perfect. Pilsen too maybe? Any other good neighborhoods I should visit? Im open to suggestions. And id like to avoid the whole "black friday" scene.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Chinatown. More than food?
Save

I will be there for a few days around Thanksgiving for the German xmas market. I was thinking i could get Chinese food ON Thanksgiving and seeing whatever else I can in the area. I LOVE authentic ungentrified neighborhoods! So Chinatown sounds perfect. Pilsen too maybe? Any other good neighborhoods I should visit? Im open to suggestions. And id like to avoid the whole "black friday" scene.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67,902 posts
64 reviews
142 helpful votes
7. Re: Chinatown. More than food?
Save

Take a CTA red line north to Argyle St. Great Vietnamese dining options within walking distance.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
22,228 posts
127 reviews
79 helpful votes
8. Re: Chinatown. More than food?
Save

If you are looking for international neighborhoods maybe the Indian area in Devon between Western and California.

9. Re: Chinatown. More than food?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2020, 10:11
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.