We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Trains System?

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
206 reviews
Help with Trains System?

Just trying to figure out train system in chicago, will be there next week

Ok I like to know if this is best lines to take.

I will be staying near the Belmount Station, Red Line

I need to get to LaSalle Street.

I noticed there is a LaSalle Street station

can i just take the Red line from Belmount Station to downtown area on the Blue Line

would i transfer at the downtown stations and just take the blue line to LasSalle Street, as i would need to get 315 LaSalle Street. other wise anyone else have better suggestion?

Best Seller
Chicago Architecture River Cruise
3,306 Reviews
from US$ 41.44*
Best Seller
Chicago Crime and Mob Tour
530 Reviews
from US$ 39.95*
Special Offer
Skydeck Chicago Admission
623 Reviews
from US$ 22.00*
US$ 24.00
8 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
57,713 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Help with Trains System?

Google Maps will give you point to point transit directions.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Help with Trains System?

It's Belmont, not Belmount. Also, if you ask at your hotel or elsewhere, you also should specify if you're going to North LaSalle or South LaSalle. They're about a mile apart and if you're at one while you need to be at the other, you could be late for an appointment. Many other streets in the city also have the same numbers on their north and south sections.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,842 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Help with Trains System?

The train lines go in several different directions, so it can be hard to make sense of them all.

Your destination is just north of the river on the east side of LaSalle Street. It's an easy walk of a half-mile from either the Grand or Lake stop on the Red Line. It's a little bit shorter and easier walk from the Lake Street stop. You could transfer to the Brown Line at Lake and exit at the Merchandise Mart, but it's not worth the trouble.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
337 reviews
4. Re: Help with Trains System?

The Belmont Red Line station is also a stop on the Brown Line. You can take either one. For 315 NORTH LaSalle St, I would take the Brown Line to the Merchandise Mart stop and then it's just a few minutes' walk. The blue Line goes nowhere near there.

For 315 SOUTH LaSalle, You would need to take the Brown Line to the Van Buren stop.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
337 reviews
5. Re: Help with Trains System?

To elaborate on the point made in post 2, Chicago streets have a grid system. The City is divided into 4 quadrants with the intersection of State and Madison St. being the dividing line, zero/zero. Street addresses south of Madison are all "south", such as South LaSalle or South Michigan. Street addresses north of Madison will have a "North" address. The further away from Madison, the larger the number. Similarly, addresses west of State St. will be W. whatever and addresses east will be East whatever, the higher the number, the further away from State St.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
6. Re: Help with Trains System?

There is a system map of the CTA train and bus routes on their website. You might take a look at the "Downtown" map for your question on LaSalle and the "System" map for Belmont (specifically which 'L line to use). A picture is worth a 1000 words, you know.

I am saying this because...You will no doubt be using the public transportation for other destinations in Chicago. You'll see the information for those at the same time as well.

P.S. In as far as the busses are concerned...They don't all run 24/7. Some run every day during particular hours. Some run only during weekday rush hour periods. Some are OWL routes, running that 24/7. So you have to be *careful* which bus route you choose, so you aren't waiting for one that never shows up.

Edited: 14 October 2018, 19:30
Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
206 reviews
7. Re: Help with Trains System?

THANKS so much guys, really helpful!

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
206 reviews
8. Re: Help with Trains System?

again correction on my part my destination is 315 North LaSalle so the River Roast

Reply to: Help with Trains System?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted