We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mode of transportation

overland park, ks
Level Contributor
113 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Mode of transportation

Hi all,

I have read the pinned post and also have been to Chicago a couple times and used public transit before. I see if I take the train it is the blue like, get off and walk a few blocks?

My question is this- arriving at 5:45 pm on Thursday this week and need to get from O'Hare ( I always use Midway, so this is a new direction/location for me) and need to get downtown to the Wyndham Grand as quickly as possible. Which mode of transport at that time of day would be fastest? We have an event that night we need to get to as quickly as we can and I had not considered rush hour into the equation.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Midway Airport
Midway Airport
Chicago, IL
5 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mode of transportation

Since you will be arriving around the evening rush hour, you will probably do best to take the Blue Line of the L downtown. Just take the Blue Line to the Clark & Lake St. station (also marked for the "Thompson Center").. From there, it's only about a 3 block walk to the Wyndham Grand, including walking across a bridge over the river.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,672 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mode of transportation

OK this is just my opinion... Since you have a time constraint; take the Blue Line from under Terminal 3 to Clark/Lake station. That's a 2 1/2 block walk to your hotel. (nice choice) Allow a little over an hour for the train. Be sure to add in time from the gate to the Blue Line terminal. Expressway traffic will take longer that time of day.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mode of transportation

I need to correct my Post No. 1 because the Wyndham is not across the river. (I was confusing it with the Westin.) The Wyndham is a short walk from the Clark/ Lake St. station, but it is on the same side of the river as the station.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54,528 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mode of transportation

Google Maps will show you the way.

overland park, ks
Level Contributor
113 posts