We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay, within 5 miles of Thalia Hall

Saint Paul...
4 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay, within 5 miles of Thalia Hall

We have a concert at Thalia Hall in May. Wondering where best to stay w/ two different scenarios.

1) If just my husband and I decide to go for the weekend... no kids (easy walking area, no pool needed)

2) If we decide to bring our 4 children (and potentially their grandma to help with the kids) in which case we'd want lodging with a nice pool and family friendly (perhaps breakfast free at location)

Don't want to spend more than $250/night

Would prefer to be within 3 miles of Thalia Hall

Like to be walking distance or short car ride to good restaurants/bar scene

Location in safe area by Thalia Hall

Thanks for your help!!

Mentioned in this post
Thalia Hall
Thalia Hall
28 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Viceroy Chicago
Viceroy Chicago
#3 of 197 hotels in Chicago
Ace Hotel Chicago
Ace Hotel Chicago
#4 of 197 hotels in Chicago
The Guesthouse Hotel
The Guesthouse Hotel
#5 of 197 hotels in Chicago
8 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,365 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay, within 5 miles of Thalia Hall

TH is a quick cab/Uber ride within three miles from numerous downtown hotels. No hotels within walking distance of TH.

Play with www.booking.com or similar site for availability downtown within your budget. Hotel rates here run all over the place. Chicago is also a convention destination.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay, within 5 miles of Thalia Hall

1) For 7 of you (4 kids and 3 adults), you would need either 2 or even perhaps 3 hotel rooms, depending on the size of the room and what the maximum occupancies of them would be. Maximum occupancies are dictated by the city fire codes and they will show up on the hotel's website. Or, in the case of some third-party sites, they may have an agreement with the hotel "partners" of a maximum occupancy of 2 per room. Just depends on the situation. It is most unlikely you will find that in your budget range, unless you are a member with points accumulated with some hotel chain.

2) With the two of you, that budget is possible; although you may want to skip searching for free breakfasts (don't know if you want the pool, either, if it is just for the kids' enjoyment).

3) Your title says that you want it within 5 miles but in the text itself, 3. Why do you want it to particularly be within 3 miles of Thalia Hall? That is in the Pilsen neighborhood between 18th and 19th Streets, on the south side of Chicago. You should be looking in the safer areas of the Magnificent Mile, River North or the Loop - even the South Loop (if it were a hotel such as the Blackstone, right on Michigan Avenue).

Edited: 24 March 2018, 19:36
Mentioned in this post
Thalia Hall
Thalia Hall
28 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Pilsen
Pilsen
47 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
The Loop
The Loop
1,085 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago South Loop Hotel
Chicago South Loop Hotel
1,910 Reviews
Chicago, IL
The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
The Blackstone...
2,189 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay, within 5 miles of Thalia Hall

Yes, *when* you go in May is very important, as Dave points out. Take a look at the Sticky Note on the upper right hand side of this page for those "Dates to Avoid..."

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay, within 5 miles of Thalia Hall

If the whole clan comes with you, there are numerous suite-type hotels (Residence Inn, Embassy Suites, Springhill Suites, etc) that might make life a bit easier. Obviously you'd see those pop up when researching but thought I'd mention it. You budget could be an issue if there is a big convention in town during your visit, and National Restaurant Assoc is May 19-22 and that is a biggie.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,273 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay, within 5 miles of Thalia Hall

Thalia Hall is in a west side neighborhood... No hotels. You stay in the Loop or River North (some hotels refer to it as "the Magnificent Mile"). Uber to and from your concert. Taxis don't roam the neighborhoods enough to rely on them.

Mentioned in this post
Thalia Hall
Thalia Hall
28 Reviews
Chicago, IL
The Loop
The Loop
1,085 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay, within 5 miles of Thalia Hall

Suites have maximum occupancies, too, and don't know of any hotel which will allow 7. But if the OP checks into their pricing and considers this, they'll have to call hotel management to confirm that many would be allowed in one. However, their budget may not be sufficient for a suite, particularly one allowing freebies such as free breakfasts - and particularly including Chicago's hotel tax.

Should also be mentioned that some hotels which offer free breakfasts require the appropriate number of tickets - based on the occupancy known by the hotel management.

s_s, after you posted that comment about the West side, I checked into it because I've always heard it referred to as being on the South Side. From what I've garnered, that specific area is apparently called the Lower West Side - although I've never personally heard a single living person utter that description. (Also saw one publication call it the Southwest Side.) Some sources - particularly those you would think would confirm positively - are silent on it. It's probably a moot point to the OP.

In any case, should be mentioned that Thalia Hall is a nice venue and has a nice history about it which can be viewed on their website.

Edited: 25 March 2018, 09:57
Mentioned in this post
Thalia Hall
Thalia Hall
28 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay, within 5 miles of Thalia Hall

Realtors and others use neighborhood names that suit them. I never in my life heard Pilsen referred to as the west side either. I worked at the criminal courts building for many years and never once heard that referred to as the west side either, it was south or southwest. One of those 'neighborhood maps' I saw referred to Norwood Park and the O'Hare area as the far north side, as opposed to the northwest side. Ridiculous.

To the OP, as stated, plan to stay in the downtown/River North/Magmile area.

Mentioned in this post
Pilsen
Pilsen
47 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay, within 5 miles of Thalia Hall

Thanks, WJ. At least I'm not the only one with that past understanding.

Ah, yes..."Realtors and others"...When I was doing that research above, a couple of the most usually reliable sources made specific mention of "nebulous" and "changing" perceptions of where the boundaries were/are located. Not only of the West Side, but other areas, too.

Edited: 25 March 2018, 16:13
Reply to: Where to stay, within 5 miles of Thalia Hall
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted