We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dogs on train

South Portland...
Level Contributor
93 posts
34 reviews
Dogs on train

My husband and I are traveling with our two small dogs to Chicago. I see small pets are allowed on trains in a " carrier". Is this enforced ( in NYC no one cares as long as the dog is behaved and on your lap) and does a bag/ purse count as a carrier? Thanks.

Best Seller
Chicago Architecture River Cruise
3,231 Reviews
from US$ 41.44*
Viator VIP: Willis Tower Skydeck...
104 Reviews
from US$ 124.00*
Chicago Explorer Pass
181 Reviews
from US$ 79.00*
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,268 posts
137 reviews
1. Re: Dogs on train

Are you asking about Amtrak, Metra or Chicago "L" trains?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,817 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Dogs on train

transitchicago.com/riding_cta/…pets

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,883 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Dogs on train

If you are talking about the el, it is enforced. It is relatively easy to "sneak by" though. However, they don't have to be in an official "carrier". I used to put mine in my backpack. They just want the dog contained.

South Portland...
Level Contributor
93 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Dogs on train

Thanks that's what I needed. I will bring packs to put them in.

South Portland...
Level Contributor
93 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: Dogs on train

Yes I saw that I just need to know how they define a carrier or if it is even enforced.

6. Re: Dogs on train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2018, 10:48