We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Necessary to book day tours from Tel Aviv in advance?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Necessary to book day tours from Tel Aviv in advance?

We will be staying in Tel Aviv in June for 7 days/8 nights (June 12 to 20) and are planning to do several day tours (Jerusalem, Masada/Dead Sea, Caesarea/Haifa, Galilee and possibly a Tel Aviv city tour). I am looking at many tours that do pickup from our hotel but some want one to book in advance (either give credit card details for a deposit or pay in advance). I realize it will be summertime and busy tourist season, but I'm wondering if it is necessary to book so far in advance or should we wait until we arrive in Israel to do so? We are thinking of doing the "business class" tours for a bit more money so it will be smaller groups. Thanks in advance for any help.

8 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Necessary to book day tours from Tel Aviv in advance?

Personally I would not book and pay in advance.

The last time I did a day tour from Tel Aviv to Galilee; I just booked with the hotel concierge the afternoon or evening before also with the business class.

However it was mid May and not the height of tourist season.

I also had a " free" tour to Jaffa where they first took me to the Diamond Exchange in Tel Aviv or was it Ramat Gan. I firmly said no; I'm not buying any jewelry.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Necessary to book day tours from Tel Aviv in advance?

Thanks so much for the advice!

London
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Necessary to book day tours from Tel Aviv in advance?

A couple of years back we were in TA in August and booked a day tour no more than two days ahead. We were in a small group and had a good day. I don't think you need to make the commitment at this stage.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Necessary to book day tours from Tel Aviv in advance?

Many thanks for the advice!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Necessary to book day tours from Tel Aviv in advance?

Does the 7 days represent the entire duration of your trip?

If so it makes more sense to have Jerusalem as the primary base and Tel Aviv perhaps as a secondary although you may wish to stay up North as well rather than take day trips from Tel Aviv.

Edited: 16 March 2018, 03:16
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,828 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Necessary to book day tours from Tel Aviv in advance?

If you will be taking a day tour on every day of your vacation, it makes more sense to go on a package tour. The day tours waste a lot of time picking up and dropping off people in different cities and at different hotels. The package tour takes the entire group from one hotel. The day tours have a random collection of people with different ages, different interests and several languages. You can look for a package tour that suits your interests and with people your age.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Necessary to book day tours from Tel Aviv in advance?

Thanks for the advice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Necessary to book day tours from Tel Aviv in advance?

Thank you!

Reply to: Necessary to book day tours from Tel Aviv in advance?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted