We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help shorten my itinerary. 17 days Newfoundland to 14 days

Flushing, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Help shorten my itinerary. 17 days Newfoundland to 14 days

Hi, I have never traveled to Newfoundland before and am planning a trip for 2019. I wrote down my ideal trip and it is 17 days. I just can't be gone that long. Can anyone suggest where I could or should cut a couple days. You will see in my itinerary that I planned to go to Labrador (Red Bay) and I would really like to keep that in the schedule Here is my 17 day plan (need to cut 3 days)

Day 1 fly into Deer Lake and spend night at Norris Point (Gros Morne)

Day 2 Norris Pt

Day 3 Norris Pt

Day 4 Drive to St. Anthony stay St Anthony

Day 5 St Anthony

Day 6 DRive to Ferry - stay Red Bay

Day 7 Stay Red Bay

Day 8 Take ferry back and drive toward Twillingate - but such a long drive.....spend night somewhere between St Barbe and Twillingate?

Day 9 Stay Twillingate

Day 10 Stay Twillingate

Day 11 Stay Twillingate

Day12 Drive Bonavista stay Bonavista

Day 13 Stay Bonavista

Day 14 Stay Bonavista

Day 15 Drive to St. Johns - Stay St Johns

Day 16 Stay St Johns

Day 17 fly home to Michigan from St Johns

Primary things we are interested in: iceberg tours, hiking, photography, general sightseeing, driving back-roads, Thanks in advance!!!!

15 replies to this topic
Paradise, Canada
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Help shorten my itinerary. 17 days Newfoundland to 14 days

What month is this trip planned for? If you want to see icebergs, then May to mid June. But you never know with the icebergs. Last year it was an incredible year for icebergs. Some bergs still around in August!. This year it was a very short season. I didn't see any on the Avalon Peninsula.

You could cut out one day in Twillingate and one day in Bonavista. Stay in Kings Point on your way to Twillingate. Summer weather in Newfoundland is a bit odd. This year parts of the island had snow in late June.

https:/…

Flushing, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Help shorten my itinerary. 17 days Newfoundland to 14 days

We will be traveling mid-late June and ditching a day in Twillingate and Bonavista sounds do-able. I will definitely check out Kings point - that day is such a long drive. And yes I saw on TV the snow you had in June!! We have traveled a lot to Nova Scotia and the early summer there is a bit unpredictable as well - thanks for the advise. Is there anything specifically you would recommend to do in St Anthony?

Gros Morne National...
Level Contributor
716 posts
74 reviews
3. Re: Help shorten my itinerary. 17 days Newfoundland to 14 days

If there are ice bergs around you have a more than excellent chance of seeing them in Red Bay and St. Anthony area. So if it was me I would skip Twillingate altogether because it takes time to get there from the TCH. You might want to consider spending the night, between the St. Barbe's ferry and Bonavista, in either Springdale (there is a lovely lodge along the river, it is called River something or other), King's Point, or Lewisporte. Or if you wanted to really push it (depending on the ferry schedule) Gander. And by eliminating Twillingate you would be down to 14 days. By the way, I could not recommend you shorten your time in the Bonavista area. There is so much to see and do there. Plus you get the taste of picturesque outports - oh yes, and again another excellent chance to see icebergs if they are around.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
100 reviews
4. Re: Help shorten my itinerary. 17 days Newfoundland to 14 days

St. Anthony - drive a bit farther to see the Viking settlement site and Norstead in Lanse aux Meadows. https:/…lanse-aux-meadows

http://www.norstead.com/main.asp

In St. Anthony, explore the Sir Wilfred Grenfell properties. He was a doctor who established medical missions to help the people of St. Anthony and the Labrador coastal communities.

And I agree with other posters. Cut a day from both Twillingate and (much as I hate to say it because it’s a favourite of mine) Bonavista.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 03:34
Flushing, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Help shorten my itinerary. 17 days Newfoundland to 14 days

I'm finding alot I want to do in Bonavista too!!!!

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
100 reviews
6. Re: Help shorten my itinerary. 17 days Newfoundland to 14 days

@KellyS1226. “”I'm finding alot I want to do in Bonavista too!!!!”” I agree. There’s a lot to do in that area. We are just back from spending a full week there. Last week was really busy, loads of visitors around and lots going on, in and around Bonavista.

But I frequently visit our summer home. You, as a visitor, have to make tough choices about where and how long to stay.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 04:58
Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Help shorten my itinerary. 17 days Newfoundland to 14 days

You have a lovely 17 day trip planned! Too bad you have to cut. You picked great places to visit, and I suspect you'll very much like all of them.

I'll second PAKatieR's suggestion of cutting Twillingate altogether. I like Twillingate and go there every now and then. I stayed there last week and watched 5 humpbacks be pretty playful out at the lighthouse. It's very beautiful, even without whales. But I like every one of your other areas much more. Completely cutting Twillingate picks up your 3 nights and cuts out a bit of a drive as well. I wouldn't cut your time on the Bonavista Peninsula. There is much to do and see there.

I really don't know what else I'd try to do to get that great trip down to 14 days (given the Red Bay constraint). If forced to come up with a second suggestion, I suppose I might say cut one night each from Red Bay, Twillingate, and the BP.

Flushing, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Help shorten my itinerary. 17 days Newfoundland to 14 days

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am thinking of cutting Red Bay down to only one night. For some reason I just really wanted to "stamp my passport with Labrador" so to speak. That was my reason for going there. I don't know if cutting it to one night just makes it a mad dash across the ferry and back just for the sake of doing it. ARGGGG i need more time. I know also that I need to be conscious of drive times, ferry times and not driving at night very much.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Help shorten my itinerary. 17 days Newfoundland to 14 days

Red Bay itself makes for a great one day trip. Climb the Tracey Hill stairs, walk around Bone Beach, take the $2 shuttle over to Saddle Island for an hour or two. Great stuff. Some people try to do that in a day trip from Newfoundland, but I think it's best to spend the night.

One night there might not leave you much time to see some of the other sites on Labrador's southern coast (e.g. the L'anse Amour lighthouse), but given your time limits I think it would be pretty reasonable for you to assign only one night to Labrador. You might think of going on an early ferry and taking a later one, but then that would strip some time from the St. Anthony area. Darn those two week trips!

Flushing, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Help shorten my itinerary. 17 days Newfoundland to 14 days

I love that whole idea of one night in Red Bay. My only problem is if I take the late ferry back - then i would be faced with night driving to our next stop Which now I am thinking would be Kings Pointe or Lewisport .

Reply to: Help shorten my itinerary. 17 days Newfoundland to 14 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newfoundland