We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how is route 20 for driving?

new york
Level Contributor
116 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
how is route 20 for driving?

taking rt 20 from Idaho Falls into W. Yellowstone. I would like to know what kind of road will I be driving on? It can't be worse that rt89 in Sedona going thru mountain passes. thanks in advance..

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
17,485 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how is route 20 for driving?

It's pretty flat. The only mountain pass is into Montana and it doesn't even feel like you are crossing a pass. It's 4 lane for about half way, then down to 2 lane. Goes thru National Forest area after St. Anthony. It is a fairly easy drive in the summer. Do I remember from the Wyoming forum that that is when you are going? You may encounter road work during the summer. In Idaho we have 2 seasons, winter and *road work*, lol.

Pam

new york
Level Contributor
116 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how is route 20 for driving?

thanks for the great reply. That is exactly the info I wanted.. We are starting out from SLC ,taking I-15 to rt 20 into W. Yellowstone for a few nights. AAA states that the trip will take about 4h and 50m. about 320 miles.. The road we drove in Sedona thru Oak Creek Canyon was very crazy. (rt89) Lots of one lane highways, drops with no railings and plenty of falling rock signs.. Beautiful scenery but you have to keep eyes on road ..thanks again..matt

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
17,485 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how is route 20 for driving?

Well, you do have to keep your eyes peeled for animals, especially closer to Yellowstone, but no drop offs at all. I have driven to SLC and it was closer to 6 hours for me with a stop or 2. Four hrs 50 minutes sounds low.

Pam

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
473 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how is route 20 for driving?

5 hours is about right. It's 3 hours from the SLC airport to I.F., and West Yellowstone is 2 hours north on Hwy 20. That's with no stops in nice weather.

There is very little "scenery" between SLC and Idaho Falls (lots of sagebrush). It gets much prettier once you get north of St. Anthony.

Enjoy your trip!

new york
Level Contributor
116 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how is route 20 for driving?

thanks for the great answer..If I wanted to stop midway between IF and WY, can u recommend any place on for a cup of coffee/restrooms/gas? thanks in advance

matt

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
473 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how is route 20 for driving?

We'd always stop at Pond's Lodge in Island Park, ID. Nice little restaurant.

7. Re: how is route 20 for driving?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 01:45