We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this the right place for us?

Allen Park, Michigan
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is this the right place for us?

My family of 5 is looking for a beach vacation somewhere that is pretty laid back, not a lot of tourist attractions. Just somewhere to hang out at the beach, swim, relax and not have to deal with crowds. Looking for a quiet, little place with a home-town atmosphere, friendly people.

Is Tybee Island what we are looking for?

Thanks!!!

Lori

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this the right place for us?

In my opinion, no. The island itself and the drive to it is beautiful, but once you are on the beach it is very dirty and the crowds were unbearable. Seemed that most of the people there were on the lower end of the food chain, In other words, bottom feeders. No I am not a snob, I am only giving my experience from a few years back. I live in Georgia and Tybee is only a 3 hour drive from my house and I will never return. Savannah is beautiful and the restaurants are great, but if you want a nice beach and not too much farther than Tybee Island, try Destin, Florida. Probably one of the most beautiful beach communities in the country. Powder white sand and emerald greenish blue waters. Total paradise.

Hope this helps.

Knoxville
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this the right place for us?

Tybee Island is quite place there is not any thing to do and alot of people on the weekends but durning the week it slows down alot. Savannah is Great We are going back in June so I guess I am one of the bottom people .

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this the right place for us?

Another bottom feeder here....lived here all my life and when I was younger, enjoyed just going to the beach, swimming and relaxing in the sun. That's about all that goes on there. It's not a fancy beach nor is the sand nice and white. There are prettier beaches both north and south of Tybee. The Lighthouse and Fort Pulaski are about the only tourist attractions on or near Tybee. They are both well worth seeing.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this the right place for us?

Well Aileen take your insecurity blanket off and don't take what I said so personally. The people that were at the beach when I was were very rowdy, drunk rowdy, and had thrown trash EVERYWHERE. No offense but I don't think anyone would want to hang out around these folks especially if you have kids. This was up and down the beach.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this the right place for us?

No offense taken. The beach is only a little over one mile long, and on busy weekends it can get very crowded and rough. The worse place is around the main area with the fishing pier, the motels and the parking lots. There are quieter areas further north on the beach and in the Fort Screven areas.

It's been known for years as the Redneck Riviera for good reason.

If you can rent a cottage in the mainly residential area, either on the ocean or the river side, you could probably have a nice, quiet time. We always parked in that area so we could avoid the crowds and trash on the main beach.

Allen Park, Michigan
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this the right place for us?

We wanted to rent a cottage on Eighteenth Lane. Is that a good area? I was looking for someplace without crowds - nice and peaceful....

Thanks for all the comments!

Lori

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this the right place for us?

A lot will depend on when you plan to come. Things sort of slow down after Labor Day. 18th Lane is in the more crowded area. It's toward the south end of the beach. Some nice places are there, some not so nice.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this the right place for us?

My husband and I just returned from a short trip to Tybee Island and Savannah. I don't know anything about beaches and what to expect but I can report what we experienced while we were there. We stayed at the Sandcastle Hotel in front of the Ocean Plaza Beach Resort. Very short walk to the beach. It was a Saturday night and very cool so there was not a crowd on the beach. Sunday was a warmer day and the people kept coming! Traffic was bumper to bumper coming into the island Sunday as we were leaving. There was a traffic jam as we were leaving the lighthouse area. Too many cars trying to enter the beach parking lot. The streets are narrow and houses all seemed to be on top of one another. Too close and crowded to suit me. There were lots of families with lots of kids but they all looked like they were having a grand time. There just seemed to be too many people in such a small place. Overall the evening and the next morning were pleasant. Savannah was amazing and I wished we had stayed the night there instead but maybe next time.

Allen Park, Michigan
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this the right place for us?

mrspakrat - THANK YOU!! That was VERY helpful!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this the right place for us?

Dear Lori,

Quite obviously, there are 2 Tybee Islands. My experiences have been similiar to that of "windrock" who posted earlier. My time on Tybee has been some of the most peaceful, serene and replenishing of my life. No dirty beaches, no crowds, in fact, I occasionaly had much of the beach to myself and certainly no traffic. My daughter and I are going to Savannah in November for an art exhibit and we will most definitely stay on Tybee again! loveNola

Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island