We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to deal with missing mail (Dar -> USA)?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
236 posts
63 reviews
How to deal with missing mail (Dar -> USA)?

I sent some mail from the main Dar post office to the USA in May and June. Perhaps 10 pieces total. Most were basic envelopes, and a few were in padded mailing envelopes (which took a while to find in Dar!). Also a few postcards.

Everything was sent via regular air mail. No registration.

Most of the items contained papers. A couple of the envelopes had a single coin in each - the cool older TZ shilling coins - one with a rabbit on it, the other a sailfish. One of the padded envelopes had an assortment of coins in it, perhaps 10 or 11. Everything packed very securely.

The postcards and the first 3 envelopes sent arrived quickly (within 2 weeks) and with no issues.

Nothing else has arrived.

I can understand the padded envelope with the coins being confiscated as it's technically against the rules to send coins (despite the rule not being meant for just a few coins). I'm puzzled at everything else not arriving. There were some coins in one of the first three that arrived safely, so I'm not sure that it's just a matter of a metal detector being set off.

I see that there are contact email addresses on the posta.co.tz website and I plan to send an email to the general help as well as the Dar specific one, asking what if anything can be done to find out a status or attempt to track these down.

In the meantime, I thought I'd see if anyone has any advice for me on how to either determine their status and/or recover them. I'm guessing I'm pretty much out of luck, but hope springs eternal.

In contrast, I sent two more envelopes and a padded mailer from the main post office in Arusha, this time using the registered mail service (+4K TSH) and all of them have made it to the USA with no issue. Too bad I don't have a time machine to go back and register the ones from Dar! Thought I'd be fine after the first 3 arrived, but c'est la vie.

I'll update the thread regardless with whatever the Posta people say, as well as if the items do eventually show up. I'm not too optimistic at this point, unfortunately.

2 replies to this topic
Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: How to deal with missing mail (Dar -> USA)?

My advice is to Forget of what had happened( the past) think of the present and future what is it you want/need fellow travellers to help you with??mention exact details ones possible some might try and help.

Cheers

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
236 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: How to deal with missing mail (Dar -> USA)?

Sa q - thank you. I'm still going to email them and ask what if anything can be done for recovery purposes. Just thought some locals may have some advice on how best to go about that or if there were any options I wasn't aware of. It looks like from your first statement you think recovering / finding them is probably not very likely. Do you think they were stolen by someone at the post office or otherwise lost? The odd thing is that the first few arrived just fine!

Reply to: How to deal with missing mail (Dar -> USA)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dar Es Salaam Region