We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary in St. Simons-what to do, where to stay, eat?

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
366 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary in St. Simons-what to do, where to stay, eat?

Thinking about coming to St. Simons Island for our anniversary trip in May. We love going to Amelia Island and we usually visit the fort, go to the beach, walk around downtown and rest and relax.

I feel like St. Simons would be a good place similar to Amelia Island. I've been there before but it was when I was a kid and we stayed at the Epworth by the sea for a conference.

Where are good (cheaper) places to stay. We'd love to stay in a pricey place but need to stay at around $100 per night. So if you know of any deal sites that'd be great.

Other than the lighthouse, what other things should we see? We thought about going to the fort and seeing Christ Church. We like historic sites and churches.

We like quaint shopping areas too, where should we look for that? Suggestions on restaurants would be great.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
741 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary in St. Simons-what to do, where to stay, eat?

I would check the usual Hotel websites for pricing. There aren't many hotels on the Island with the price of $100 per night especially in May and including taxes and fees. Epworth might be a good spot for you. The whole Island is like a historic site. There is Redfern Village to shop as well as the Village itself on the southern tip of the Island. Before I suggest a restaurant, I would need to know your price range, there is something for everybody from BBQ to fine dining.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
1,353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary in St. Simons-what to do, where to stay, eat?

stay close to the village and walk there abouts, and let the deals find you. enjoy!

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
366 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary in St. Simons-what to do, where to stay, eat?

Thanks! As far as accomadations there are some beautiful places on the island and would love to stay there, but was probably thinking more along the lines of a Hamton Inn or Holiday Inn, I may try to find a deal on priceline. Don't want to go to a 2 star place like a Days Inn though, I guess just a lower mid-line place. I wasn't thinking we'd do a max of $100, but just trying to stay in that end of the ballpark.

Dining, we usually splurge for our anniversary meal so include anything you think is yummy. We appreciate taste and quantity over presentation or wine pairings. We actually like to take in the local food, but don't really know much about what that would be.

Also, is there a good Christmas shop or somewhere with ornaments? We want to get a 'st. simons island' ornament for our tree to remember our trip from.

How is the island set up? Is there a 'village' area? Where would that be? The island looks pretty big but I'm not familiar with where the hot spots would be or what part of the island to stay on.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary in St. Simons-what to do, where to stay, eat?

There are several good restaurants on St Simons - check the list and reviews here. The village is on the southern end of the island and a great area for little shops and restaurants. East Beach is the beach to go to - pretty good at high tide - very large at low tide. The beach at the village and lighthouse disappears at high tide.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
741 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary in St. Simons-what to do, where to stay, eat?

For you special dinner, I would go to Georgia Sea Grill or Delaney's Bistro or Ocean Lodges roof top restaurant. Check them out of this site and go to their websites and check out the menu. You can't go wrong with them.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary in St. Simons-what to do, where to stay, eat?

Re: susanna - We were quite disappointed in Georgia Sea Grill and said so in our review.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
741 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary in St. Simons-what to do, where to stay, eat?

Sorry Steve you had a bad experience. Georgia Sea Grill was one of the go to places. We haven't been there in 6 months but I haven't heard bad reviews until now. I will ask around before suggesting this restaurant again. The others I will stand by especially Tom Delaney's Bistro. Can't be beat but bring your wallet.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary in St. Simons-what to do, where to stay, eat?

The King and Prince is nice.

The King and Prince @ 201 Arnold Road; St. Simons Island, GA 912 - 638 - 3631.

http://www.kingandprince.com/

Crabdaddy's @ 1217 Ocean Blvd., Saint Simons Island, GA 912 - 634 - 1120.

http://www.crabdaddysseafood.com/

Crab Trap @ 1209 Ocean Blvd., Saint Simons Island, GA 912 - 638 - 3552.

If you are driving to St. Simons Island go to Crabdaddy's or Crab Trap for fresh seafood. Head over the causeway and continue on King's Way to Ocean Boulevard. After about one mile CD's and CT will be on the left. They are right next to each other and both have the best fresh seafood. Crab Trap is fried with hush puppies and large platters. Crabdaddy's has grilled and blackened plates and the best fish. It's also that less casual. They are both great seafood places with different personalities.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary in St. Simons-what to do, where to stay, eat?

I wouldn't classify Crabdaddy's as the kind of place for a special evening out, nor Crab Trap either. They're both good for what they are, but not where I'd plan an anniversary dinner.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anniversary in St. Simons-what to do, where to stay, eat?

Thanks for pointing that out Steve. I thought the OP would want some casual places for lunch since he asked about inexpensive places to stay. I certainly did not post my recommendations for an anniversary dinner. Sorry about that.

Halyard's or J Mac's would be great for your special event. Enjoy your visit.

Halyard's @ 55 Cinema Lane, Saint Simons Island, GA 912 - 638 - 9100.

http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/

J Mac's Island Restaurant @ 407 Mallery St, Saint Simons Island, GA 912 - 634 -0403.

http://www.jmacsislandrestaurant.com/

Get answers to your questions about Saint Simons Island
Recent Conversations