We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alfonso's Plantation Dinner Club

atlanta
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Alfonso's Plantation Dinner Club

We were blessed by visiting this beautiful and magical island in the early 80's with my husbands family and our small son. We rented a home next to Coast Guard Station and our his parents rented an apartment next door. We also ate at the most wonderful Dinner Club, Alfonso's Plantation Dinner Club. We can not seem to locate this on any website. We were so hoping to revisit the home in the community where we had so many fond memories and the Dinner Club where we were treated like Royalty.

8 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,109 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Alfonso's Plantation Dinner Club

It is not open anymore.

Here are a couple of links -

www.csmonitor.com/2002/0129/p03s01-ussc.html

clatl.com/home/article/13035192/cl-reader-cl…

atlanta
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Alfonso's Plantation Dinner Club

Thank you your response. I'm so sorry to hear of the end of such a wonderful place of dining experience. We have carried our memories of this place in our hearts as you see for years . I'm sure we are not alone. A tribute to the service and honor as a guest we were shown in their establishment as a guest to the beautiful island.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
751 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: Alfonso's Plantation Dinner Club

If you would like to go to a nostalgic restaurant on Saint Simons Island, Bennie's Red Barn is open and still popular. Their steaks can be hit or miss but their fried chicken is the best on the Island.

atlanta
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Alfonso's Plantation Dinner Club

Thank you very much. We will give them a try.

atlanta
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Alfonso's Plantation Dinner Club

Thank you much for the articles. This really helps with the appreciation of the wonderful people who cared for us so many years ago . We will never forget them. We were on SSI a couple of weeks ago and took a fabulous tour of the island on Saint Simons Colonial Island Tours. Rod was an excellent guide and explained in detail a great deal what has happened very the years on the island. I recommend this tour for anyone visiting the island or lives there.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
225 reviews
6. Re: Alfonso's Plantation Dinner Club

Sunshine,

Yes, as I am sure you found out on your recent visit, much has changed on SSI since your earlier visit in the 1980s - some good and some not so good. As Susanna noted, Bennie Red Barn is still there but places like Blanche's Courtyard and 4th of May are long gone.

Newnan, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
7. Re: Alfonso's Plantation Dinner Club

There will never be another place like Alfonso's Plantation Supper Club. They won my heart the first visit, and Alfonso's after dinner drink was the bomb. We will never forget how they made us feel like we were a part of the family the old folk songs I remember my grandfather singing. The best ever

1 post
8. Re: Alfonso's Plantation Dinner Club

Perhaps the favorite of all the restaurants, I have ever visited. Food, service, ambiance, friendliness, everything was absolutely fabulous. My four year old son stopped a waiter and said, "My compliments to the chef." To his delight, the chef came out to meet him bearing a heaping platter of more wonderful food. Unfortunately, this delightful restaurant is no longer in business.

Reply to: Alfonso's Plantation Dinner Club
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saint Simons Island