We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stone Mountain or Rock City

Miami
2 posts
1 review
Stone Mountain or Rock City

We're flying into ATL and are looking to spend a night in the city and another somewhere scenic - not sure if Chatanooga is worth the drive or not. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Stone Mountain or Rock City

Both have their pros and cons --- its a good 2 hour drive to chattanooga if traffic cooperates with you --- chattanooga is more scenic, but stone mtn has alot of activities and the laser show at night. What activities were you hoping to find, might help us steer you in the right direction ?

Madison
Level Contributor
135 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Stone Mountain or Rock City

Chattanooga is definitely worth the drive.

I loved Lookout Mountain, the Aquarium, which though not on the same scale as the one in Atlanta, is to my mind more educational and has a better lay out. I also love the electric buses and what better place to stay than at the Choo Choo, which has original Pullman cars.

Given the choice between visiting Stone Mountain, which has a laser show, or Chattanooga, there really is no contest.

I also found Chattanooga, one of the most friendliest places I have ever had the pleasure of visiting.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,977 posts
135 reviews
3. Re: Stone Mountain or Rock City

I have to second Chatanooga over Stone Mountain.

The hike up Stone Mountain is O.K., but there are much prettier hikes in GA. If you have never been in a Gondola or seen a laser show, then you may be impressed with some of the stuff at Stone Mountain. My kids have never been very impressed with Stone Mountain. The laser show is nothing compared to some of the stuff the kids see today. The laser show reminded my husband and I of the laser shows we saw as kids, and just as corny. I think what use to be fun about laser shows, was watching the kids enjoy the show. Now kids can have a laser show on their ceiling every night if they wanted We ski, so Gondolas are nothing new to us. Plus Stone Mountain is expensive.

Chatanooga we love. Caves, hikes, waterfalls, scenery, etc.

If you don't want to drive, there is still lots to do in and around Atlanta. You won't be bored.

Miami
2 posts
1 review
4. Re: Stone Mountain or Rock City

Hmmm...thanks for the info. I think we erally want scomething more scenic and not so amusement-parkish is you know what I mean. Would spending a night in Chatanooga and another in Atlanta be feasible? We're flying in on Thursday night - so we'll have two full nights.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
5. Re: Stone Mountain or Rock City

"I think we erally want scomething more scenic and not so amusement-parkish is you know what I mean."

Then Stone Park probably isn't your type of thing. I like it, but areas have become very commercialized to draw in Atlanta tourists. I have no gripe against Stone Mountain; I like it a lot, but compared to everything that Chattanooga has to offer it's a drop in the bucket.

"Would spending a night in Chattanooga and another in Atlanta be feasible? We're flying in on Thursday night - so we'll have two full nights."

So you're flying into Atlanta Thursday night, then plan to drive up to Chattanooga for a night, then-?

Sounds reasonably feasible. It's a reasonably short (two hour) though dull drive up to Chattanooga, so that's no biggie. If you have any questions about what to do in Chatt, just post a thread with the amount of time you have, when that time is, and your interests so that I and others can most accurately help you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g54946-Chattanooga…

Kristian

6. Re: Stone Mountain or Rock City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 14:01
Get answers to your questions about Lookout Mountain