We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow!!!??? Ugh

Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Snow!!!??? Ugh

We are headed there from Capitol Reef on Friday and planned to take the majority of the day driving 12. Looks like snow. Will we make it? We don’t have a four wheel drive.

Also we didn’t plan for snow. Is there snow shoe rentals? Can you still hike? Please advise. Thank you.

4 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,143 posts
249 reviews
1. Re: Snow!!!??? Ugh

You won’t need snow shoes. Why couldn’t you hike? Take it easy on UT12 and avoid driving during an active snow storm.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,470 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Snow!!!??? Ugh

The local forecast that I’m seeing does not have snow in Bryce on Saturday. It will also been sunny in Torrey.. It looks like there may be some rain at Boulder Utah which is about the halfway point on highway 12. Like RdRox said, take it easy on highway 12 if there’s precipitation. Slow down on the curves. Don’t drive too fast for the conditions.

Consider yourself lucky if you have some snow at Bryce. Snow on the Hoodoos is magical.

I don’t know why you would need snowshoes at Bryce. But you should have. Shoes that cover your feet with a decent tread.

Edited: 18 October 2018, 08:42
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Snow!!!??? Ugh

Okay good! I saw the weather and it said heavy snow and it was snowing this morning in Torrey. BTW, I am absolutely in love with Capitol Reef. So thank you for the advice of three nights here! Went canyoneering today and another hike and both were incredible!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
100 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Snow!!!??? Ugh

If you're going to Bryce in Oct, I would always be prepared for snow, regardless of the forecast. The rim is between 8000-9000 ft elevation, snow can come and go unexpectedly, and fast. As Connie says, snow would be really cool at BC. Agree you likely won't need snow shoes, but weather proof hiking footwear would be good.

Any snow that falls likely won't stick around too long, unless it's a big storm.

Reply to: Snow!!!??? Ugh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon City