We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Tampa to Delray Beach

Sevenoaks, England
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling from Tampa to Delray Beach

I will be in Tampa for a few weeks at the end of October this year. Whilst there I would like to visit some relatives who live in Delray Beach. I realise this is a fairly long distance away but what options do I have to get there? I do not wish to drive so am thinking of bus, train or plane. Does anyone have any information if any of these are possible/practical. I would be leaving Tampa on Fri 26 Oct and returning one week later. Any suggestions with regard to ease, cost and time would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

NJP2201

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
323 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Tampa to Delray Beach

You can take a Greyhound bus (always an adventure...). Takes 7-9 hours, but it's cheap - $41 roundtrip. Or you can take Amtrak (train) - about 3.5 hours, $27 each way.

Check www.Greyhound.com or www.amtrak.com for schedules & prices.

I wouldn't think it could be flown, but maybe so...?

I'm glad I looked - I had no idea you could take a train that route in this state!

Hope that helps.

Sevenoaks, England
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Tampa to Delray Beach

Thank you for your response.

I actually asked the question on behalf of my retired mother. Is she likely to have any safety issues travelling on her own using either the bus or train?

The train appears to be favourite at the moment as it is so much quicker.

Many thanks,

njp2201

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Tampa to Delray Beach

Surprised me too, that there is such an Amtrak service - but in checking the route for that particular train (91 Silver Star), the list says: Tampa, Lakeland Winter Haven, Sebring WPB, Deerfield Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood and Miami. So, nip, you might want to verify that there is a stop at Del Ray. Otherwise it is about 15 miles between those two cities.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,056 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Tampa to Delray Beach

Bus/coach travel here isn't anywhere near like that outside the US.

I'd try the train -- flying will take forever and be very expensive.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Tampa to Delray Beach

Tampa-West Palm Beach on the Silver Star takes 3 hrs 30 minutes and costs $50 RT, if your mother is 62+, the senior fare would be $42.50. From WPB to Delray beach she can use the commuter train Tri-Rail, which travel from WPB to Miami (via Delray Beach) using the same rails as Amtrak. One Way fare between WPB and Delray is USD3.00.

The Silver start is scheduled to arrive in WPB around 4:15 pm and the follwoing departures are scheduled for Trirail:

4:36pm, 5:06pm 5:36pm, 6:06pm 6:36 pm 7:36pm 8:36pm last train.

Amtrak and Trirail station have security officers on the premises. I am also a senior citizen and feel perfectly safe on the trains and in the train stations.

Where I can I choose Amtrak over Greyound because of the shorter trip and the possibility to get up during your trip and visit the observation car, dining car, lounge car etc. Greyhound does not have the option.

Also, when you book Amtrak, you have a reserved seat, Greyhound does not reserve seats./ Most of the time all paxes find a seat, but I have travelled standing room only on rare occasions.

Mimi

6. Re: Travelling from Tampa to Delray Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 08:48