We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gasparilla Question

Columbia, Maryland
1 post
Gasparilla Question

We are visiting (and hopefully I can convince the wife to move to the area too:) for Gasparilla and curious how hard it is to get into Tampa for Gasparilla on Saturday. I would rather stay in Clearwater Beach and visit the beautiful beaches in your area and just drive in, but wanted to be sure we could get in. Figured we would get up early and go to YBOR and take the trolley, good plan? Any other tips for 2 first timers?

My wife is scared of the politics of Florida so hopefully you guys vote Blue! :) (Sorry if this offends anyone)

Thanks for your time!

Tampa Bay CityPASS
25 Reviews
from US$ 107.00*
St. Petersburg Private Sunset Cruise
28 Reviews
from US$ 64.15*
Special Offer
Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
33 Reviews
from US$ 84.99*
US$ 96.29
4 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
350 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: Gasparilla Question

Your plan is a good one - we have done this before as well. Getting in won't be a problem if you head over in the morning. Getting out could be a little bit of a hassle though. I would recommend having dinner somewhere in Ybor after the parade and then head out after the traffic has died down a bit.

Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
162 reviews
2. Re: Gasparilla Question

You also need to check media for street closures, parking and access to the parade. Certain sections on Bayshore Blvd.are closed or by ticket only admission and the areas open to the general public can be quite congested. I would recommend earlier rather than later as well, there are areas to buy food, stroll or stake your "spot" before the parade. In addition to the big parade, there are children's and night parades on different dates-check those out too. You will enjoy being a pirate for a day. It is quite impressive to see the boats in the channel and you will enjoy the people watching that day.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Gasparilla Question

The following is information from this past year to offer some guidance: abcactionnews.com/lifestyle/taste-and-see/ga…

They have been trying to crack down on excessive drinking during the parade, but in my own personal opinion, it is still a drunk fest. Something you go to once just to say that you have been there. Not sure if this is the best introduction to the Tampa Bay area.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
574 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Gasparilla Question

As stated above, get there early. I usually aim to get there around 9:00 AM and don't leave until much later, it's an all day affair. Jackson's is a fun place to go to afterwards to wait out the crowds.

Reply to: Gasparilla Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted