We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airport to leave out of - Tampa or Ft Myers

nyc
Level Contributor
512 posts
7 reviews
Which airport to leave out of - Tampa or Ft Myers

We will be vacationing in Siesta Key/Sarasota this August. We are taking a direct flight from NYC to Sarasota Airport. On our return trip - we can leave from Sarasota Airport but there is only one flight leaving to NYC and it's at an earlier time than we want to leave (around 11 am). There are more flight times available for say 5 pm or 6 pm - leaving from Tampa Airport or Fort Myers. Am I correct that the travel time from Sarasota to Tampa airport is about 1 hour and 15 minutes and about 1 hour and 30 minutes from Sarasota to Fort Myers? Which airport - Tampa or Ft. Myers- would you suggest we travel out of (from Sarasota at the end of August to catch a 5 pm or 6 pm flight)?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,963 posts
508 reviews
1. Re: Which airport to leave out of - Tampa or Ft Myers

Family lives in the Bradenton/Sarasota area and if they do not fly in and out of the airport there then they always go to Tampa.

Siesta Key, Florida
Level Contributor
209 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Which airport to leave out of - Tampa or Ft Myers

Too easy, take the 11:00 AM out of SRQ and make sure you leave with a couple of sure condos to reserve for your next visit.

Edited: 11 May 2010, 09:10
Florida's west coast
Level Contributor
380 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Which airport to leave out of - Tampa or Ft Myers

Although Ft. Myers is a little farther from SRQ than TPA I'd say the travel time is fairly close to equal simply because there is more traffic in the St.Pete/Tampa area (plus a toll bridge to stop and pay at).

Ft.Myers airport itself is generally less busy than TPA.

I've flown out of both numerous times & driven from SRQ each time.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,079 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Which airport to leave out of - Tampa or Ft Myers

Tampa is closer, but RSW is a great airport easy to get in and out of and rt off I75. Not a lot of traffic there.

I might choose on price.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
47 reviews
5. Re: Which airport to leave out of - Tampa or Ft Myers

Flip a coin....we have done both...however TPA more often....using arrival and departure. The prices and times to arrive at TPA are better for us and the car rentals are generally cheaper plus more choice. Check to see if there is a drop off surcharge for you at either RSW or TPA.

The drive to TPA over the Sunshine Skyway is a beautiful drive if you have never done it.There is usually no delay in paying the Toll.

You're sure you don't want to use SRQ at 1100 a.m....I thought you were going to say 0700 a.m.?

Edited: 11 May 2010, 21:03
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
109 reviews
6. Re: Which airport to leave out of - Tampa or Ft Myers

No matter which one you choose, you're going to be sad to leave! I live near Lido Key and fly out of SRQ whenever I can, if not I go with TPA -- in part because it's slightly shorter and in part because it's a gorgeous drive over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge across Tampa Bay. SRQ is probably 10 minutes from my house, maybe it'd be 20 minutes from Siesta.

If you do choose TPA or RSW, I'd definitely leave quite a bit more time for the drive than what you're assuming. From Siesta, TPA will be about 75-85 miles. Though most of the drive will be interstate (at 70MPH posted speed limit), you'll still have some local streets in Sarasota before you get to I-75, and you'll also have a little time checking your car in at the airport.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,079 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Which airport to leave out of - Tampa or Ft Myers

it is true that sometime cars are moer expensove at RSW. So price rentals at the same time as flights.

TO
Level Contributor
926 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Which airport to leave out of - Tampa or Ft Myers

Fort Myers provides for a much more civilized experience. It is easy to get to as noted, there is less traffic and the airport is as laid back as SRQ. Personally, I can't stand heading north, so even though I will eventually fly that way, the drive further south helps to delay the inevitable ennui ;)

9. Re: Which airport to leave out of - Tampa or Ft Myers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2010, 11:50
Get answers to your questions about Siesta Key