We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach condo vs Private home

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Beach condo vs Private home

Will I be at huge disadvantage by not staying on the beach?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,166 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach condo vs Private home

Being close to the beach has it's advantages....

If it were me, I would stay in close walking distance. JMHO.

~SRQgirl

Canada
Level Contributor
9,497 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach condo vs Private home

For years , when visiting the Sarasota area we stayed just off Siesta Key. The last 12 years or so, we now stay Gulf front, mid key and have not looked back. It is more expensive certainly , but worth every dime. The experience to wake up and be right there to go for a walk. Sunsets from your lanai are amazing.Just having a beach lounger/parking spot with your name on it is a huge plus. You have the option to run up to your unit for a quick Lunch......the convenience is fabulous.

One could watch the gulls and penguins...the odd pod of Dolphins for hours...not to mention the beach walkers.

Is it a disadvatage not staying Gulf front???? We absolutely enjoyed ourselves when we did not, but we LOVE the Sarasota area. But now that we stay right on the beach....we wouldn't do it any other way

I guess what I'm trying to say is you don't realize what you've been missing until you have it.

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,467 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach condo vs Private home

It could really be a matter of budget. Homes across the causeways are a lot cheaper to rent (and to buy and run). So, if you love beach front and can afford it, go for it.

if you find it too pricy for you at this time, you will be OK driving to the beach. Even if it is a bit inconvenient.

Edited: 05 May 2010, 19:11
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,166 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach condo vs Private home

I agree, it is always about budget...there are places close to the beach (not beachfront) that are affordable and would eliminate a lot of driving...

www.siestakeychamber.com

~SRQgirl

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
407 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach condo vs Private home

We have stayed at both gulf front condos as well as private homes in the village of Siesta Key.

While we did love walking right out to the sand, there always was the problem when you drove into the "village" for dinner in the evening and could never find a place to park.

Now we rent a house in the village within a couple of blocks to the beach, so we can walk to Happy Hour, dinner, the beach, or shopping and not have to worry about finding a place to park or driving after a couple of drinks.

So there are advantages and disadvantages to both.... just depends on what is most important to you.

Mentioned in this post
baltimore
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach condo vs Private home

Thanks so much...What communities are walking distance to beach/village?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
407 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach condo vs Private home

There really aren't any condos that I know of that are "walking distance" to the village. Some owners do advertise on VRBO that they are "walking distance to the village... my husband and I always laugh about that because to us "walking distance" would be a few blocks and these places are over a mile away!

Look at a map of Siesta Key and you can see streets near Ocean Blvd. that are close to everything. Calle Menorca, Calle Miramar, some parts of Canal Roa. Avenienda Messina,etc. to the west of Ocean are walking distance too!

Mentioned in this post
Miramar Beach
Miramar Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,467 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach condo vs Private home

To me, a mile or less is walking distance.

I have noticed since i left the usa how much shorter walking distance has become. People drive 2-3 blocks. doens't help the nations health from what i can see.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,166 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach condo vs Private home

There are condo within walking distance to Siesta Village and across the street from Siesta Public beach.

Crescent Royale

Sunset Royale

Tivoli by the Sea

La Siesta

Our House at the Beach

Sandbox on the Beach ($$$)

www.siesta4rent.com

www.vrbo.com

www.vacationrentals.com

www.siestakeychamber.com

(if you contact the Chamber they can you give ideas too)

~SRQgirl

10. Re: Beach condo vs Private home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2010, 09:46