We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late August visit

Ontario
Level Contributor
387 posts
15 reviews
Late August visit

Greetings experts. Heading down to Sarasota area for the first time late August this year. We like beach life and browsing local restaurants and shops etc. Looking at either Lido Key or Siesta Key. Lidos Armands Circles seems a little upscale and not so eclectic. Siesta Key village seems to be mainly beach bar type restaurants and a few shops... Would that be fair?

Any thoughts on which location might be better for us to rent in for a week. We would also like to wander round “Old Florida” town if there is such a thing within reasonable driving distance. Active 60yr old couple from Canada.

Thanks in advance for advice.

5 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
91 posts
1. Re: Late August visit

We loved Siesta Key. I am not sure what you mean by "Old Florida". You can go to the Ringling or to Marie Selby Botanical Gardens which to me both invoke that old Floridian charm. Here is the itinerary of our trip,hope you will find something useful for you: familyroadtripguru.com/2018/…

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,357 posts
180 reviews
2. Re: Late August visit

How much did you want to spend for the week? That will help with giving you suggestions. Too many options on Siesta Key.

Perhaps you should consider Anna Maria Island..it has an old Florida feel..no chains, no high rises.

St. Armands has a variety of shops/dining. It is more upscale vs. Siesta Village..

Downtown Sarasota has many different shops, galleries, boutiques and dining options.

There is much to do in the area.

Siesta Key has the best beaches, if that is your main focus.

Another place to visit is Boca Grande...the Gasparilla Inn is famous and historic. The Temptation restaurant has a very old FL feel.

How far are you willing to drive?

www.visitsarasota.com

You should also remember that August will be extremely hot and humid...it is also hurricane season.

If you want Old Florida, St. Augustine has great history...that is another trip.

~SRQgirl

Edited: 10 May 2018, 00:55
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: Late August visit

I think you might like Venice. Couple of streets of shops and restaurants ending at the beach. Next Anna Maria city. You trade off shops etc for no condos.

Arcadia, inland has some shops on a Main St.

We stay at St Armands, some very reasonable restaurants there and nearby. 7 minutes to downtown which is very very full of great restaurants.

You will find good rates but OMG it is hot. Use lots of sunscreen, bring/a hat.

Give us some feedback about all our posts.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
181 posts
106 reviews
4. Re: Late August visit

Hi. What are your main interests and perhaps we can recommend a specific area. I like St. Armand’s area, only because I’m not a beach person but you are coming in the hot summer season so you might want that. Personal, I don’t think you can go wrong as it’s all a lovely area for relaxation. Cheers.

12 posts
5. Re: Late August visit

Hi fellow Canadian.We highly recommend the condos @ Midnight Cove on Siesta Key. You likely have read that the beach is the #1 beach year after year.. We just returned & have been going to the Key for many years. Midnight Cove has an oceanfront section & a section across the road from the beach which looks over the intercoastal waterway with lovely views (especially Bldg #9) & which is quieter than the gulf front section & cheaper. Units are individually owned, so you can easily see which units have been renovated.. It is a very short walk to the beach. Both sections of the complex have a lovely pool. The Key has become busier, but there are now more restaurants & small stores & a new free trolley to get to the restaurants. You can walk to small grocery store, drugstore & restaurants. Nearby Longboat Key & St. Armand's Circle are worth a visit.

Reply to: Late August visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted