We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gay friendly sanibel??

boston, ma
14 posts
Save Topic
gay friendly sanibel??

anybody have a sense of whether sanibel is gay-friendly or at least not right-wing conservative?? any places to stay away from - - anywhere to check out, advice re: where to stay, etc. THANKS!

N.Y.
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: gay friendly sanibel??

Hello,

We are 2 lesbians from Europe and we own a condo on Sanibel.

We come here every year twice a year for a month and in all that time we had one bad encounter... I find the people on Sanibel, nice and laid back and they simply don't care about your sexual preferences.

We love it here for the nature, quiet, beaches and good restaurants.

My partner and I think Sanibel is paradise!

By the way we just arrived here and their is no sign of Red Tide, (we are near Tarpon beach) lets hope it will stay away now.

New England
Level Contributor
105 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: gay friendly sanibel??

Hi All:

Found this on a different site....

Gay cruises draw protests in Caribbean …yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20061110/ap_tr_ge/tra…

Although this applies to the Caribbean, it illustrates why the initial poster's question was not a silly question.

When countries begin to plan to explicit deny access to a group of individuals, that is why members of that group ask the question about "friendliness".

Just thought I'd post it to let some folks know why gay people are inquisitive and frankly, sometimes, uneasy, about going to places if they are unsure how people will treat them (e.g. if they can't hold hands, or reserve a 1 bed room without wondering "what people think"or how they might be treated.

Thanks.

13. Re: gay friendly sanibel??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2006, 06:28
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: gay friendly sanibel??

I've never seen "gays" taunted, abused, or otherwise treated in a derogatory manner in many visits to Sanibel. In other words they are treated the same as everyone else. Cruising spots, places that are stricly segregated to homosexuals?? No I haven't seen any.

15. Re: gay friendly sanibel??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2006, 21:08
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island