We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is more “carribean” - Sarasota’s beaches or Miami’s?

3 posts
Which is more “carribean” - Sarasota’s beaches or Miami’s?

Which beaches have more of a carribean ‘feel’ in Florida?.. (“north” of the keys.) :)

Thank you.

13 replies to this topic
Jon
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Key West, Avalon
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
224 reviews
1. Re: Which is more “carribean” - Sarasota’s beaches or Miami’s?

Miami Beach’s water is closer to the Caribbean. That being said, I prefer the overall vibe of Siesta Key in Sarasota to Miami Beach.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,033 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Which is more “carribean” - Sarasota’s beaches or Miami’s?

Having lived in the bahamas, the gulf coast is closer than miami beach (the water notwithstanding).

The Keys and Gasparilla island in particular.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
245 posts
97 reviews
3. Re: Which is more “carribean” - Sarasota’s beaches or Miami’s?

I see little resemblance of our beaches to the Caribbean beaches. However, since a large segment of Dade County's population, including Miami Beach came from the Caribbean Basin's nations, there is a huge cultural and culinary influence present

Pinson, Alabama
Level Contributor
43 posts
4. Re: Which is more “carribean” - Sarasota’s beaches or Miami’s?

I'd love an answer too this question for a beach located on the gulf of Mexico side!

conn
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
172 reviews
5. Re: Which is more “carribean” - Sarasota’s beaches or Miami’s?

The gulf coast resembles the Carribean the most

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,755 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Which is more “carribean” - Sarasota’s beaches or Miami’s?

No.

Southeast Florida "resembles" as far as looks more like the Caribbean, but with lots more people.

The Gulf Coast is more relaxed. If anyone tells you our Gulf Coast "looks" like the Caribbean, they haven't been to the prettier islands.

But, once again, I would rather visit the Gulf Coast because it is more laid back.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,358 posts
179 reviews
7. Re: Which is more “carribean” - Sarasota’s beaches or Miami’s?

Miami Beach is a big, wealthy urban area unlike anything in the Caribbean (other tan Caymans?), though Cartagena would have considerably more charm. The Yucatán resorts are possibly comparable in terms of tourist density, but not the cultural activities.

The Sarastota beaches are affluent, rather lush, and Siesta Key is especially well known for its sand, nearly pure white quartz. A local heritage feature is 1950s Modern houses by well known architects of the era.

Edited: 23 June 2018, 08:44
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,033 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Which is more “carribean” - Sarasota’s beaches or Miami’s?

I lived in t he Bahamas, and visited many caribbean islands.

The gulf coast (SW) is closest esp Gasparilla island. Sea grapes, sandy beaches and blue green waters in the bay. The Keys (w/o beaches) is the second place that 'looks' like the caribbean. Miami Beach looks NOTHING like the caribbean.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,251 posts
156 reviews
9. Re: Which is more “carribean” - Sarasota’s beaches or Miami’s?

The Bahamas are not in the Caribbean.

Nowhere in Florida looks like The Caribbean. Go there if that’s what you’re looking for.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: Which is more “carribean” - Sarasota’s beaches or Miami’s?

The closest beach that may resemble the carribean would be at Bahia Honda state park. Shallow beach, nice colors,very hot. The Dry Tortugas national park, facing south would be the other one.

I was going to visit Gaspirrila this summer, but their are talks about red tide.

Reply to: Which is more “carribean” - Sarasota’s beaches or Miami’s?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island
Recent Conversations