We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIPcars.com rental scam - Sanford airport

grimsby
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
VIPcars.com rental scam - Sanford airport

Rented a car online through VIP cars. com, for pickup at Sanford airport. Reservation booking from national was received by email. VIP cars asked for $25 deposit to secure rate. If I wanted to not pay a deposit, weekly rate is much higher. Got to Sanford, to National counter, and very helpful agent said since booking was done through VIP cars, and they entered a company name from some web firm in India in the booking, unless we produced verification I worked for that company, my weekly rate would nearly triple in price. I had no idea who that web firm was. VIP cars sold us a corporate rate timeshare, if you will, and since we don't work for that corporation, national couldn't honour it. Thank goodness national helped us rent a car independently. Asked VIP for my deposit back. No response.

4 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,922 posts
116 reviews
1. Re: VIPcars.com rental scam - Sanford airport

Another reason not to use 3rd party booking sites. Most will burn you, especially ones that no one hears of much. If I was going to use a 3rd party I would only use the ones who have been around for a while like Hotwire, Expedia, etc. Contact your credit card company and file a dispute. They will get your money back for you.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
19,770 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: VIPcars.com rental scam - Sanford airport

Next time book directly with one of the well known car hire firms like Alamo, Avis etc and his will not happen.

South Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
5,322 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: VIPcars.com rental scam - Sanford airport

Put it down to experience and enjoy the rest of your holiday

grimsby
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: VIPcars.com rental scam - Sanford airport

Update: VIP cars refunded my deposit, no explanation of what happened.

Reply to: VIPcars.com rental scam - Sanford airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sanford