We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner options

NW Iowa
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner options

We are staying at Sirata for 4 nights in April. We will not have a car but we don't mind walking. What are our dining options that we shouldn't miss?

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner options

Don't get suckered into the two biggest tourist places on the island, Crabby Bills and GiGi's. They are the first places you will come across and the most disappointing. Look at the license plates on the cars in the parking lots. Also remember that all rental cars have bar code sticker on the passenger side windows. Once you've look around the parking lot, see how many vehicles look like they belong to locals... when you don't find any, I think you will realize whats going on, and why.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,733 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner options

You're not really limited by walking distance. There is a free shuttle service up and down Gulf Blvd. ....www.freebeachride.com. (They work for tips). Check out their website.

Previous poster has a good point. Many (but not all) places in tourist-type locations cater to the transient element, and are often overpriced and underserviced, or boast spectacular views, live music, and get by on mediocre food and lacklustre service. Let's face it, you're not coming back. I like previous poster's parking lot method. Look for local plates, or the major seasonal snowbird plates (Illinois, New York, Ontario). For good and consistent local fare, try Skidders Restaurant in the 5800 block. Nothing fancy, just good food, great hospitality, and reasonable prices. If you want a great submarine sandwich, try Publix supermarket, in the Dolphin Plaza (4600 block)

Enjoy your trip.

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner options

For local flavor (and, yes, locals most certainly eat here!), try Dockside Dave's. They are famous for their grouper sandwiches, and their other seafood is very good too.

Bella Habana has good Cuban food, great mojitos and salsa dancing!

Snapper's Sea Grill and MadFish are both very good finer dining spots, within easy walking distance of the Sirata.

Beachwood Barbeque (a short walk north, at the Postcard Inn) has very good barbeque, especially the brisket.

There are some tourist traps, for sure, but you will also find some very good food here!

Joppa
Level Contributor
47 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner options

I'm among those that took the suggestions made by folks like Maya58 and tried Dockside Dave's, Snappers Sea Grill and MadFish and enjoyed them all - and might have missed out on them if they hadn't come recommended - and don't let exterior appearances deceive you.

We stayed at the Grand Plaza Beachfront and really enjoyed their beach bar/restaurant, Bongo's, which is right on the sand. Surprisingly good service and food for a restaurant beach bar. I'm afraid we liked both the food and convenience so much we didn't get off the property often enough, but are hoping to remedy that when we return in May - though we surely plan to each at all of these places again while there.

Overall, we found the food at SPB several steps above - and less expensive - than most beach resorts where we've stayed. Not to mention how friendly and welcoming the staff were at nearly every place we went. Can't wait to return.

Thanks again to all - especially the locals - who take the time to give us recommendations, suggestions and assistance.

Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
731 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner options

As I stated on another post, the best food we had while in St. Pete's was at Patrick;s, though it seems that some here have had issues with the service. They have a nice patio area, but if I was going to go there and wanted to dine outside, I would make sure I had reservations and would have requested the patio. We also enjoyed Cafe Luna, Snapper's ,Skidder's and Dockside Dave's (although we did not eat at the one in St. Pete's, we had lunch at the one in Madeira Beach, and their grilled blackened grouper sandwich was the best of the grouper sandwiches that I had). Another place that I would suggest, especially if you want a place with a nice view would be Spinners, which is a revolving restaurant on the top floor of the Grand Plaza which is just next door. It's a great place for watching the sunset and the food is very good also. When you get to St. Pete's you might want to pick up a copy of a newspaper called Beachlife. It has a lot of coupons for restaurants and bars in the area.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner options

Another beach bar that has good food is Jimmy B's at the Beachcomber, next door to the Post Card Inn (and that BBQ restaurant is good). The beach bar has a small menu, but very good. I always eat there quite a few times when I'm staying at the hotel.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner options

Does anyone know if Snappers is child friendly? We will be travelling with our 18 month old son. Do they have high chairs? Will likely go early and during the week for dinner to try to avoid crowds.

Thanks!

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner options

Bug - I've never noticed any children at Snappers (it's rather upscale), but most places around here know that families on vacation like to dine out, too, so they usually do have high chairs.

9. Re: Dinner options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2013, 02:06