We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We LOVE St Augustine & Charleston - where to next?

chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
154 reviews
We LOVE St Augustine & Charleston - where to next?

I'm starting trip planning for our Mom & adult daughters for next year. So far we've been to :

St Augustine (ideal)

Charleston (ideal)

Savannah (overall-we liked but should have visited before Charleston)

New Orleans (My Mom wasn't a fan)

Although I'm ready to repeat our favorite places, my Mom & sis prefer to try new places.

We are thinking of Nashville, Galveston, San Antonio or Boston.

We like beautiful, friendly & clean cities, ghost tours, carriage rides, walkable cities, history & shopping (like French Market type of places).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

St. Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
701 posts
164 reviews
1. Re: We LOVE St Augustine & Charleston - where to next?

I LOVE Boston - very walkable - and there is a subway system, too. TONS of history. Also have been to San Antonio - the RiverWalk downtown is lots of fun - and, again, lots of history. Have never been able to tour Nashville or Galveston.

chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
154 reviews
2. Re: We LOVE St Augustine & Charleston - where to next?

Thank you! There are so many wonderful cities & it is difficult to pick just one! San Antonio & Boston seem to be recommended a lot. It is difficult to choose a new destination after finding somewhere as perfect (for us) as St Augustine (& Charleston).

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: We LOVE St Augustine & Charleston - where to next?

Asheville!

chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
154 reviews
4. Re: We LOVE St Augustine & Charleston - where to next?

Thanks, Cap! My hubby, kids & I hope to visit Ashville, NC for Spring Break. My inlaws just retired there & we are overdue to visit them. It looks wonderful there & our inlaws are very happy with their choice to retire in Asheville!

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
5. Re: We LOVE St Augustine & Charleston - where to next?

Key West may be an option you can consider. It is not all about "the party" like New Orleans. It has fascinating history, tours, ghosts, nice lodging and places to eat, amazing sunsets, and beautiful weather.

Check it out. It might suit your needs.

Regards

chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
154 reviews
6. Re: We LOVE St Augustine & Charleston - where to next?

Thanks, BlackBri-Key West was on my list but my Mom is a snowbird on the southwest coast so doesn't want to go there. I'm going to try to visit Key West with the hubby this year. I appreciate all of the recommendations! My Mom is obsessed with Nashville (the TV show) & is pushing to go there for our next trip. It isn't my 1st choice-but we allow her to make the final location decision. I'm hoping we have many years of annual Mom & Daughters trip ahead for us so we can visit all of these wonderful places!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,891 posts
116 reviews
7. Re: We LOVE St Augustine & Charleston - where to next?

combine Nashville with a few days in Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge and visit the Smokey Mountains. Not so much about history but the nature in the park is fantastic. If you visit Ashville and like history then Biltmore House is a must.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: We LOVE St Augustine & Charleston - where to next?

After St Augustine one of our favourite places to visit is Santa Fe, New Mexico .(Population 70,000) It has lots Spanish history as well as many Native American areas of interest. Like St Augustine, it's a nice size to drive downtown and spend time walking around, especially the many art studios. There are also lots of interesting mountain drives not far from town. However you have to choose when you decide to visit. Between November and April it's almost as cold as where we live in Canada. Also if you have problems with altitude sickness, remember this town is 7,260 ft above sea level.

Another nice easy to park town with lots of history is Salem, Mass. We have visited it too and like St Aug. and Santa Fe, is very walkable and many quaint New England villages are nearby.

If you come up to Canada, a visit to Quebec City is well worth a visit.

chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
154 reviews
9. Re: We LOVE St Augustine & Charleston - where to next?

Thanks again for all of the wonderful suggestions! Between this forum & the Charleston forum-I have so many new places I hope to visit someday! Even though it is hard to top St. Augustine (& Charleston), I will find the uniqueness & beauty in all of our future destinations!

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
277 posts
275 reviews
10. Re: We LOVE St Augustine & Charleston - where to next?

Asheville NC, and then visit Hendersonville NC while you are at it. We are there at least once a year. if you go, save some beauty for us.

Get answers to your questions about St. Augustine