We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scalloping

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Scalloping

We will be on Cape San Blas at the SP the week-end of August 24, 2007. I have been in Florida for almost 5 years and I always wanted to go scalloping.

I know the scalloping season should still be open. Anyone has recommendation on were to go? We will be staying at the State Park, and I guess we are not allow to gather scallops in the park.

Any contact information would be great.

Do we need to rent a boat, or we can go from the shore?

Thank you,

Texas City, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scalloping

Hello Willso!

We spent 2 weeks on the cape and had a wonderful time! We never went scalloping but we observed many scallopers and I can tell you what I learned about it. First, wear some protective shoes as there are spiny urchins hiding in the sea grasses and I understand that they can really cause pain when accidentally stepped on. I noticed that many people just parked by the side of the road and walked right into the shallow bays to do their scalloping. A scallop permit is required for a few dollars and can be purchased at any of the bait shops. We stayed in the center of the cape and ran into Port St. Joe quite often and it was in PSJ where I saw people scalloping, some had parked right off Cape San Blas Road and walked into the bay, some launched small boats from a public boat launch in PSJ. I spoke to a family at the boat launch who were opening their catches with spoons with difficulty hahaha! They had opened up a big bucket of scallops and had a large baggie full of small scallops for their trouble but I imagine they were delicious! The tide action had lowered the bay levels and the father told me that he had worried that they would be stuck out there. We absolutely loved the food at the Sunset Coastal Grill restaurant on Monument Avenue/Highway 98 and from the wonderful big bay facing windows I watched many people scalloping in the bay by that boat ramp. There is a dock and a nice wooden walkway to a lovely gazebo on the water there, kind of a small park.

I know this hasn't helped much since the only real bay experience we had was renting a pontoon boat for a day ( HIGHLY RECOMMENDED at less than $300.00 for everything ) but I hope you have a great time and once you get there, you'll discover that finding a location to scallop will be easy. Everyone is so friendly and helpful and there is a large sporting goods store by the PSJ Marina off Highway 98 ( you can't miss it ) and they can also answer all your questions and sell you a permit, too. Have fun!

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scalloping

Thanks for your message Satiegirl.

We may try to go in t he Bay from Cape San Blast.

3. Re: Scalloping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 06:45
Get answers to your questions about Port Saint Joe