We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is metal detecting allowed?

White Mountains...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Is metal detecting allowed?

Does anyone know if metal detecting is allowed on the beaches?

7 replies to this topic
Harrison, Michigan
5 posts
1. Re: Is metal detecting allowed?

I've been asking that same question for over two weeks and still haven't got a straight answer. Best of luck..

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Is metal detecting allowed?

Still not a straight answer but I see people with metal detectors on the beach quite frequently in the Destin - 30A area.

Harrison, Michigan
5 posts
3. Re: Is metal detecting allowed?

I just read yesterday they're up in arms over who owns what as far as the beach goes ??

White Mountains...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Is metal detecting allowed?

Do you mean state, town, private, etc.? As far as I’ve been able to determine for sure: the water to the “average high tide” line is state owned and detecting is allowed.

Harrison, Michigan
5 posts
5. Re: Is metal detecting allowed?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

#1 State parks you have to ask the Park Ranger and have a day pass?

#2. You have to be staying at the condo in order to metal detect in front of it?

I seen a youtube where some guy was told to move on or he would be charged with trustpassing by the condo's security?

White Mountains...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Is metal detecting allowed?

I think it is always best to ask for permission so asking a park ranger would be a good idea. As for staying at a condo to detect in front of it, it depends. If it is private property and a sign is posted, it would seem obvious. I’ve seen the same video on YouTube and in the comments there are references to FL state law that suggest the security guard was overstepping his authority. A hotel or condo doesn’t own the water or the beach up to the average high tide line.

Edited: 17 December 2017, 02:24
Harrison, Michigan
5 posts
7. Re: Is metal detecting allowed?

I'll have to go back and read the comment section on the U tube. Thanks

That sounds good to me. I just want to crawl into my own little world and take a early morning stroll along the beach and metal detect without being harassed or threatened by security.

I have an email to a club member in Pensacola. If I hear back from her maybe she can shed some light?

Reply to: Is metal detecting allowed?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Saint Joe