We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Oklahoma

Tulsa, Oklahoma
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling from Oklahoma

Does anyone have a recommendation for any interesting places to stay overnight for our trip from Oklahoma to Pensacola Beach and back home again?

Also, this will be our first trip to a beach! Any tips?

texas
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Oklahoma

How are you coming??? I drive from West of Houston so I go I 10 all the way. Also by your name I think you have 3 kids? One place that I liked to stop at was the rest area between La and Miss border along 10 that is by the Stennis NASA Center. It has some huge rockets on it and is a good place to get pics if you want the kids to have some running around time.

And a tip. LOTS AND LOTS OF SUNSCREEN.

Edited: 31 May 2012, 18:13
Tulsa, Oklahoma
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Oklahoma

We are thinking of traveling from Tulsa to Memphis and then down to Pensacola Beach. Not sure of the route home yet. We are looking for any ideas or tips!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Oklahoma

A beach umbrella or tent is key! Get a decent one (with vents) so it doesn't get turned inside out every 5 minutes. That, and lots of sunblock!

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Oklahoma

When do you arrive at Pensacola and how long will you stay?

Have you read the TA "things to do" in Pensacola? That will give you some good ideas of what else to do when you've had enough sun.

1 tip ~ since you are driving pack a cooler in your car to use when you go to the beach. Will keep those drinks chilled while you swim.

Have a great time.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Oklahoma

We are coming the last week in June. I have read over the "Things to Do" list, but we are just unsure which of these things is a "must do"! :) Also, our choices might be somewhat limited due to the fact we have 2 teenagers and an infant!

Also, does anyone know of good beach chairs/umbrellas to purchase. I heard they are very expensive to rent and our condo does not provide them.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Oklahoma

I will be in Panama City Beach that last week of June!

We have collapsible beach chairs with separate umbrellas already. Sorry can't recall where we purchased them. Lucky that they fit in the car. The umbrellas have this UV protection to prevent sunburn. Not all are like that and it just makes it safer, or maybe just makes me feel better.

Yes they are expensive to rent, usually way too much. Have you checked WalMart or even for some reason I am thinking Academy Sports? CVS was even selling them over Memorial Weekend. Sorry can't help you here :( .

Packing a sweet precious baby will make it hard for beach time I bet so they don't get too hot. At least the teens can keep an eye on him/her.

DH and I took 3 sons to the Naval Air Museum several times and we thoroughly enjoyed it. DH is not into planes and yet he loves it there. Don't know if your teens would like it or not. Check out for Blue Angels practice times ~ it's amazing to watch.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from Oklahoma

I will be in the same area at the same time frame. We will be at the Ft. Pickens Campground. I have got one of the tent covers like this: http://www.shadeusa.com/Aerodome_4.gif I believe I got mine on Amazon for a better price. Set it up in my living room & it will have enough room for two chairs & an ice chest.

here are a couple of links that you can find stuff to do:

www.nps.gov/guis/planyourvisit/index.htm

http://www.visitflorida.com/Pensacola

Things I have as possible things to do with my teen & tween

Naval museum on Wed so they can see the blue angles practice flight & meet them at the museum after.

Snorkel at Naval live oaks through parks service

band on the beach Thursday evening (guld side pavilion)

Fishing on the pier

dolphin tour/snorkel

Ohio
Level Contributor
729 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from Oklahoma

Once you determine you route, you could check www.roadsideamerica.com

for something interesting/unusual/odd to see along the way.

Regarding the purchase of beach chairs and umbrellas: it's extremely handy to also purchase an umbrella sand anchor. It screws into the sand then you insert the umbrella pole into it, allowing for greater stability i.e. no running after your blown-by-the-wind umbrella every hour. :-)

9. Re: Traveling from Oklahoma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 20:12