We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pensacola trip in April

Louisiana
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pensacola trip in April

Hi all! My mother & I are meeting up in Pensacola mid-April for a get together. Any suggestions for us for must sees, must do's, must eat places, etc? (No kids with us, in our 30s and 50s). Thanks so much for any suggestions on what to do (and/or what to avoid) for a great trip!! :)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
82 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pensacola trip in April

A must eat (to me) here in Pensacola is out on Pensacola Beach. Peg Leg Pete's. A favourite among us locals, that has; again to me, the best seafood in Pensacola.

Flounders on the beach is also good.

Many will tell you to go to McGuires. A lot of people like it, personally my wife and I do not care for it. Believe it's over priced and over rated. However, it is a fun place to check out so you could go there and I would let yourself decide on whether you like it or not.

In town, check out Dharma Blues downtown or Jaco's Bayfront. Both are good places to eat. Also, Global Grill and The Fish House.

Depending on what you like to do. The Pensacola NAS Museum is a great (and free) place to check out. It's a great history lesson into Naval Aviation that has an iMax theatre at it as well.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pensacola trip in April

I agree about McGuire's but it's fun for lunch if you have never been. And Peg Leg Pete's is good too. Enjoy your visit.

McGuire's Irish Pub @ 600 East Gregory St., Pensacola, FL 850 - 433 - 6789.

http://www.mcguiresirishpub.com/

Peg Leg Pete's @ 1010 Fort Pickens Rd., Gulf Breeze, FL 850 - 932 - 4139.

http://www.peglegpetes.com/

Louisiana
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pensacola trip in April

Thank you so much Target32 & Axle, I really appreciate the help!! :)

Edited: 21 February 2012, 00:13
thedunes2@earthlink...
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pensacola trip in April

A MUST DO is JOE PATTI'S SEAFOOD MARKET. It is a huge seafood market with a Greek specialty food store, wine store, and unique gift shop all under one roof. You can see shrimp and fish boats come in... there is nothing quite like it. They will pack seafood in dry ice to take back home with you. I second the Peg Leg Pete's reccommendation and for a nice dinner eat outside at THE GRAND MARLIN at the foot of the beach bridge overlooking the intercoastal waterway.

DO NOT LEAVE BEFORE YOU VISIT FT. PICKENS NATIONAL SEASHORE! It is scenic (beautiful) , historic (Forts from Civil War, Spanish American War, WWI & WWII- some built underneath huge sand dunes), and it is at the westernmost tip of the island so a great place to find seashells.

YOU MUST DRINK 1 BUSHWACKER, a potent milkshake drink of Kaluha, coconut and creme de cocoa, invented on Pensacola Beach by Linda Taylor bartender extrodinare who owned the Sandshaker lounge for 30 years.

DO SHOP AT GERONIMO'S OUTPOST, a unique shop of artists consignment works and one of a kind clothing and gifts. Stop for breakfast or lunch at THE NATIVE CAFE. M-m-m homemade jams, and really FRESH ingredients in great recipes without the obscene "touristy" portion sizes of some are restaurants (who think large portions make up for bad food).

If in Pensacola GO DOWNTOWN to JEWELER's TRADE SHOP for custom made, quality jewelry. GET SAND BETWEEN YOUR TOES and relax!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pensacola trip in April

I second Jo Patti's. It's a great place to visit. They have everything you can think of related to seafood. It's a neat store. Enjoy your visit.

http://www.joepattis.com/

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pensacola trip in April

Beverly, where do you get the best Bushwhacker.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Louisiana
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pensacola trip in April

Thanks so much Beverly54 - your response is amazingly helpful & we'll definitely be taking it with us!! :) Also, thank you Axle!!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,750 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pensacola trip in April

Beverly54: heading south soon, making my notes, and I see you have not given the best spot for a Bushwacker. Is it a local secret??

south
Level Contributor
235 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pensacola trip in April

Sandshaker on the beach is best for bushwackers.

Pensacola, Florida
Destination Expert
for Pensacola
Level Contributor
816 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pensacola trip in April

Please check us out as well - Emerald Coast Tours. We are a new company having only been open for less than a month. We offer several services for you to enjoy your stay. Historical Bicycle Tours, Bicycle Rentals, and Historical Walking Pub Tours. Hope to see you and hope you enjoy your stay.