We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directions Please. Best Route to Panama City from...

TN
2 posts
Save Topic
Directions Please. Best Route to Panama City from...

I live in Nashville, TN. I am going to vacation in Panama City Beach, Fl in May. I am not sure what the best way to go is (fastest way) -- I know some people like the small highways and others the interstate. I am not wanting to see scenery. I just want to get there the quickest way possible. I would love to hear your imput. Thanks

Shane.

dcycle@comcast.net

alabama
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Directions Please. Best Route to Panama City from...

Hi dcycle,

I'm from Alabama so how ever you get to Montgomery is your pick but I would take I-65 South to Montgomery AL. In Montgomery exit onto I-85 East(I-85 gets you through most of the city of Momtgomery)and then exit RIGHT onto Taylor Rd (Cross over Vaughn Rd)and dead-end @ HWY-231. Turn LEFT onto HWY-231 South to Troy AL. In Troy Turn RIGHT onto HWY-167 South. Stay on HWY-167 til the Florida state line, then the HWY becomes FLA. HWY-79 South. Continue on Fla. HWY-79 South and it will take you all the way to PCB and deadends into HWY 98 - (Commonly called Front Beach Road. This route will take 3 to 31/2 hours from Mongomery. Don't take stay on 231 South from Montgomery to PCB it could take you alot longer (I mean alot!). It is a 4-lane HWY but it is usually bumper to bumper or alot of road work going on.

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Directions Please. Best Route to Panama City from...

dcycle--Hi!! I'm from Gallatin...aka Tornado Alley!! We have been to Panama City Beach almost every July since 1982. We have tried several different routes and found this on to be the best and fastest.

Take I 65 south through B'ham and into Montgomery. There's a northern by pass and Southern by pass around Montgomery...don't know these numbers but roads are clearly marked. The northern bypass is the first one you come to and altho it "seems" farther it's quicker. Take it around M'mery to 231 through Troy and on into Dothan. Stay on 231 into Florida, and all the way into PCB. You will end up on 98 which is Front Beach Rd. 231 is 4 lanes all the way and takes 3-3 1/2 hours from Montomery. We haven't encountered any construction in 3-4 hrs since it's gone to all 4 lanes. The most traffic you'll encounter is going through Troy and Dothan. We usually leave Gallatin between 1 and 3 am so I'm sure the early hour helps w/traffic but coming home we don't leave the condo until 7 or 8 am and find very little traffic and almost no construction.

Where are ya'll staying? If you're staying on the east end of the beach toward Thomas Drive, this will definitely be the better route. The other route mentioned is a 2 lane road that runs through Ebro and several other very small towns.

Hope this info helps.

Karen

Get answers to your questions about Panama City Beach