We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fastest Way to Get to PCB from north alabama.

Alabama
Level Contributor
48 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Fastest Way to Get to PCB from north alabama.

We are going to be traveling from north alabama. We generally take I-65 through Bham and down to Montgomery.

At that point there is two alternative routes.

One looks to go through Dothan AL and the other through Florala.

Any suggestions on which one is quicker. I am not big in scenic driving I just want to get there as soon as possible :) Typical male :)

Thanks for any help.

Robert

Alabama
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fastest Way to Get to PCB from north alabama.

We live near Montgomery and have always gone 231 through Dothan. This year, after hearing from friends and reading the experiences on here, we decided to avoid Dothan. Boy am I glad we did! Here is an alternate route that takes you through Elba: We went 231 to Troy. In Troy, we got on Hwy 87, which becomes Hwy 81 in Florida. Then take a left on Hwy 20 for a few miles and a right onto Hwy 79 which takes you right into PC. These are all 2 lane roads, but have plenty of straight-aways where you can pass if needed~ not much traffic and we only passed a few times. We made excellent time this way and had no traffic~ went down June 28 and came home July 5. This brings you to the west side of PCB~ but if you are staying on the east, just hit back beach road when you get there. This is the best time we've ever made!

Cullman, AL
Level Contributor
76 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fastest Way to Get to PCB from north alabama.

I agree with Tink, we have been using Hwy 79 for the last two years and we love it! It seems like less traffic and it is a pleasant drive. It brings you out at the Winn Dixie in front of Aqua Vista near West Beach. I would skip Dothan if I could. If you are like my male, he uses not so nice words for the traffic in Dothan (sorta a road rager!! LOL). You will arrive in PC in a much better mood.

Alabama
Level Contributor
48 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fastest Way to Get to PCB from north alabama.

We are staying on the east side of PCB at Marriott Bay Resort. Should I still stick with your way?

Alabama
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fastest Way to Get to PCB from north alabama.

Yes, still go that way for the quickest route. We stayed on Thomas Drive at Sterling Beach~ east end of PCB. You can either hop on back beach road to get to your place quicker or we just took the scenice route and drove down FBR (not a busy time of day). Either way, it is quicker. Reports of Dothan have been horrendous this year~ my brother said it took them an hour to get through about lunch on a Sat and then the very same thing on the way home. I've been reading people say the same on here.

Hamilton,Al
Level Contributor
364 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fastest Way to Get to PCB from north alabama.

From Troy you can take hy 167 trough Enterprise which turns into 79 at Florida state line. That is the route the locals take if you ask them in Troy

Bristol, Indiana
Level Contributor
362 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fastest Way to Get to PCB from north alabama.

We leave today, my gps says to get on 331 in Montgomery. Should I go this way intstead.

Hamilton,Al
Level Contributor
364 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fastest Way to Get to PCB from north alabama.

In Montgomery take I85 N towards Atlanta to Taylor Road app 3 miles turn righ or south on Taylor Rd. It will deadend into 231. Turn left or south on 231 to Troy. We like the Hy 167 through Enterprise which turns into 79 at Fl state line. This is route the locals take. In Troy turn right a Country BBQ.

Hamilton,Al
Level Contributor
364 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fastest Way to Get to PCB from north alabama.

In Montgomery take I85 N towards Atlanta to Taylor Road app 3 miles turn righ or south on Taylor Rd. It will deadend into 231. Turn left or south on 231 to Troy. We like the Hy 167 through Enterprise which turns into 79 at Fl state line. This is route the locals take. In Troy turn right a Country BBQ.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fastest Way to Get to PCB from north alabama.

Bamaden is correct.

If you have a GPS, mapquest, or googlemap,

you can put in the cities and basically see the route with a few modifications to stay on the highway and to turn on Taylor Rd.

You are going to Montgomery, Enterprise, Hartford, and then in FL to Ebro, and PCB.

If you want to be more specific, put in your starting address in Google Map and then add these stops

Hwy-231 N/AL-53/Troy Hwy/US-231

AL-134 Alt/AL-167/Boll Weevil Circle/US-84

S AL-167

Dog Track Rd/FL-79

Followed by the address of your destination

For quicker arrival turn on HWY 98 Panama City Beach Pkwy/ Back Beach Rd, and follow it to the closest street to your destination before turning back towards the beach.

The way to get your gps to work with a quicker route in PCB is to put in "avoid Front Beach Rd." Also, our GPS took us to a Publix that no longer existed. There is a nice Publix on Thomas Dr that is less crowded than the Walmart.

We did not use our gps going to PCB because she thought we were on an unknown road and kept telling us to turn, so we just turned her off and then turned it back on at some point. We used Google Map with the above stops that I modified a little to stay on the highways, but I couldn't figure out how to print the reverse route. Basically just write down the cities that you are driving thru and Bamaden's directions.

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fastest Way to Get to PCB from north alabama.

For the last 27 yrs we have aways taken 65So to Montgomery then 231 through Troy and Dotahn then across Hathaway Bridge and onto Hwy 98 aka Front Beach Rd. However, this year for the first time I think we're going to try a different route...

65So to B'ham, to Troy and then take 167 to Enterprise, and then turns into 79 at FL state line to Ebro and then hope onto Back Beach Rd over to our Condo which is near HI Sunspree.

Hopefully it'll be quicker.

Karen