We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Florida

grand rapids
2 posts
Save Topic
Tipping in Florida

My daughter & her husband are on vacation, they ate the hotel

breakfast buffet. she charged it to her room account and left a tip on the charge slip. She checked the account a day later and found the hotel added a charge to INCREASE the tip to 18% they say is minimum gratuity. IS THIS legal?? if you get good service you tip accordingly, but, if the service is poor, the tip should reflect that?

If you pay cash, could they hold you till you tip their minimum?

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tipping in Florida

"I don't tip at all. I pay the providers of the service for doing thier job."

Do so at your own risk. You and your family will be seen as cheap and quite possibly socially inept.

Edited: 04 April 2012, 17:32
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tipping in Florida

U must use fast food chains then

mk
Level Contributor
35 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tipping in Florida

"You and your family will be seen as cheap and quite possibly socially inept."

Thank goodness I don't care what people see me as then. People who know me (friends, family and work mates) are the only ones that matter.

Edited: 04 April 2012, 18:13
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tipping in Florida

unfortunately, tipping has caused the workers a problem imo. because of tipping, restaurants (especially the buffets like sizzler and golden corral etc) get away with paying minimum wage on the premise that staff "make up" their earnings with tips.

however, i will only tip what i think the server deserves. they're usually friendly and helpful, but i definately leave less, or possibly nothing if all i've seen is an agressive face and my plate being slammed about!

please think about what that person may be taking home to pay all their bills, and if they've made an effort to make your meal enjoyable, reward them as such. not everyone's as lucky as us to be able to afford an amazing holiday!

:-)

Tampa FL
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Tipping in Florida

Tipping is always a sore subject here on this forum. I am an American and I am comfortable with the practice. However, it has always been, in my opionion, a voluntary practice on the part of the customer. Large parties are informed in advance, in most cases, that a gratuity at a certain percentage will be added. Fair enough, but if the service was not up to standard (and I am talking about rudeness and complete inattention to our partie's needs) then it should be discussed with management long before the check comes and an adjustment to the check should be made.

Honestly, in my 61+ years I have never been forced to do this as I have not experienced service that deserved no tip whatsoever. I have on occaisions I can count on one hand tipped at a rate of 10%, but never on an automatically added 18% gratuity. I have always had good enough service to warrent the usual 18% and have added to it from time to time.

Joe

Tampa

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tipping in Florida

"Thank goodness I don't care what people see me as then"

That my socially inept friend is pretty obvious.

scotland
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tipping in Florida

We always left a tip where ever we ate. Do not remember if we sat there thinking right this is 15% or 18% ect. There was only 2 of us and most of the time it was Buffet meals as that is what we prefer (only do this on hol, except for our local Chinese). I just hope we left enough!!!

Liz.

P.S.

If you are eating at say Sizzlers, Golden Corall ect what would be the correct amount to leave on the table and do the waiting staff share it or keep it to themselves?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Tipping in Florida

Liz, the easiest way to tip is when you get the check at the beginning, go to the part where the sales tax is , just double it and that's about the right amount ....

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Tipping in Florida

Doubling the sales tax will likely cheat the server out of a proper tip. Sales tax varies by county. For instance, our rate is 6% in Lee County so you would be leaving a 12% tip. That's ok for a buffet but a bit cheap for full-service. Leave 15% for adequate service, 20% for great service. Easy.

scotland
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Tipping in Florida

The only trouble with that is, there is normally loads of people behind you and you do not want to be 'holding' up the q, if you know what I mean. Plus the fact doing it before means that if the service is not good, ie: the waitress/waiter at you'r table is rubbish, (Have never had that ourselves, speaking in general) then it would be too late !

Liz