We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To stay inside Disney World or outside ???

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
To stay inside Disney World or outside ???

My partner and I (46 & 40 respectively) - no kids - are planning our first trip to Disney World and I have found the accommodation choices overwhelming.... Looking for some advice about whether to stay within Walt Disney World or further out (on the outside). I hope that I have explained that clearly enough. We will be staying 5 or 6 nights from around the 17-May-2012.

It appears that on the inside of WDW the accomm is more expensive but wondering if its worth paying the extra dollars. We will have a hire car so travelling from outside accomm can be done but we do have to consider travel time / traffic and then have to pay daily parking fees at the theme parks. Inside accomm seems mostly covered by complimentary shuttle buses around WDW to most all the attractions - as well as Downtown Disney. I also see on other posts that alot of people head back to their accomm mid way through their days from the theme parks, for an afternoon siesta, then go back again later in the day.

Is it worth saving money on the accomm just to forego the convenience of staying within WDW?

Help me, if you can. Ta much.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To stay inside Disney World or outside ???

First up I have never stayed onsite at Disney.

If you are just visiting the Disney Parks, for a short trip (UK standards) of 6 days I would consider it.

Also if you could get the free Disney dinning, that might persuade me to stay on site.

I stay outside Disney, because I always visit other Orlando parks, I enjoy the choice of restaurants outside Disney and it tends to be cheaper.

I can get from a hotel on International Drive, to a car park in Disney in less than half an hour, I often go back to the hotel during the afternoon, and go back to Disney in the evening. Yes it will cost $14/15 dollars to park (I have AP so it’s free for me)

If you wanted to stay outside of Disney, but nearby you could stay at LBV.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To stay inside Disney World or outside ???

It is purely a personal choice as to whether it's "worth saving money on accomodation". We always stay onsite as we love to go back and forth through the day. We also like to spend our evenings at DTD and don't want to take the car. However we have been many times and don't stay in the parks for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. If you are a first timer and wanting to see everything you will probably want to spend as much time as possible at the parks and won't be taking an afternoon break.

Many folks love the convenience of WDW, others prefer to save a few bucks and have larger accomodation offsite.

There are great choices onsite and offsite.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To stay inside Disney World or outside ???

Well I would start with looking into staying onsite

click on the www.disneyworld.com if thats the 4 parks there You are most interested in ?

www.wdwinfo.com www.allearsnet.com

The resorts at Disney are great to stay at because the grounds there is so big like beautiful park settings and if You didn´t know You where in DW then You could just stroll around at the resort and enjoy the days with swimming , walking , running , looking , lissen to music in some hotels has live music ,biking, horseriding etc.etc

But what I maybe love most is that its so easy to get there from the airport with free buss´s to the resort and back again .

There are also bus´s boats and monorail to the parks and resorts and DTD , but this can all people that is in DW use aswell :-)

Mutter

South Devon, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To stay inside Disney World or outside ???

Having stayed on International Drive, LBV area and Disney I would go for Disney every day of the week but it is a personal preference and depends on what you want out of the trip.

Staying on site IMO gives you so much freedom and I believe if its just Disney you want to do you can get so much more done in a relaxed way, Every day a different park give you extra magic hours whereas only those staying at Disney can use the parks.

The DDP is fab and me and my Husband use it every visit now we have had some wonderful meals there is a choice of over a 100 places to eat and some are real fun.

Downtown Disney is a great place to go to I love strolling around there at night with my Husband a nice meal a few drinks then get the boat or shuttle back to resort just really chilled and relaxed.

You can go to say Magic Kingdom in the morning go back to your resort in the afternoon for a swim or rest then may-be go to Hollywood studios in the evening for some rides and Fantasmania have a fab time

Horsham
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To stay inside Disney World or outside ???

Personally as an adult who went last year without children, we stayed on site and have done for the last view trips, we also hire a car, but it is nice to know we are staying close to everything and can pop back for an afternoon snooze or a swim and then go again in the evening when refreshed.

Personall choice really. I have stayed in a few, Coronado springs is nice as although it is Disney it is not over Disney more of a converence hotel, so that may be a good choice. Also has nice food court.

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To stay inside Disney World or outside ???

We prefer a private villa/condo, even if only 2 of us. Much nicer having your own pool without screaming kids annoying you ! You can also swim naked if it floats your boat ;o)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To stay inside Disney World or outside ???

Ooooh :(

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To stay inside Disney World or outside ???

Disney Accommodation is very expensive if you compare equivalents hotels outside. Plus you have a much bigger choice of restaurants to eat from without having to make reservation a long time ahead. You can get some lovely accommodation in LBV only a mile from DTD and walkable with lots of shops and restaurants on the way and immediate surrounding area.

Remember "Disney Free Dining is NOT Free" the price is loaded on the cost of the accommodation. You only get dining in accordance with accommodation grade you pay for. The meaning of the word "Free" in America. invariably means and inflated price somewhere else.

"Discounts" means;- the discount is added on before you ask for it,and sometims get it taken off. You don't get any discounted rooms from Travelodge/ Best Western in the UK (same company), What you see is what you pay.

The Courtyard by Marriott on Palm Parkway is a lovey hotel for people of your age group wit a bus top outside the front door and eating places galore 2oo yds and less . These restaurants are also much cheaper then those on Disney and you you can get a "All you can eat Breakfast just round the corner at Sizzelers for $5. Try doing that on Disney! The hotel is presently priced at £50 a night for 15 Sept-29Sept. But we only paid £42 last October (they often change daily.) Having a car means you can stay anywhere, and go anywhere. Using the Buses, Shuttles , and Disney transport has restrictions and inconveniences.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,853 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To stay inside Disney World or outside ???

For adults, staying onsite and having mroe time to relax and being able to drink wine with dinner is good. And the extra magic hours can be FAB.

So, if you want EMH, but want to save a bit on accomodations if you find Disney too high, then look at the Hilton DTD, and the Swan and Dolphin (near to Epcot, DHS, and the Boardwalk). I have stayed at the Swan for around $100 a night. Try Mousesavers.com for links to discounts.

PS, I ahve also stayed at that Courtyard Marriott mentionned and left a review.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 17:37
Sussex
Level Contributor
953 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To stay inside Disney World or outside ???

This topic causes a lot of debate and you will probably get a wave of responses soon recommending you stay offsite! For now though..let me continue the "stay onsite" argument :)

Firstly, have you looked to see if you qualify for free dining? This could solve the dilema as once you have added in the savings on food Disney is bound to come out on top.

We enjoy the flexibility of staying onsite.. we like that we can pop back for a mid day break. In my opinion, it makes for a more relaxing holiday. I find when i stay offsite I have this urge to stay in a park from opening to closing. If i stay onsite..i dont feel like im missing out on any of the Disney experience when im back in my room. It is nice to be able to go to Downtown in the evening have a couple of drinks etc without worrying about taxi fares. On our adult only trips we have also enjoyed extra magic hours :)

What hotels are you looking at?

Katrina