We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Dining Plan Separately?

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
747 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Disney Dining Plan Separately?

Does anyone know if you can get the Disney Dining Plan separately?

My mom has surprised us (my dtr and me) with a 4 night stay at the Poly in January!!! (yes I'm beside myself giddy!!) but she didn't get the dining plan and we don't need tickets.

The only thing I can find on the website for the Plan shows it with a vacation package.

We'd really like to get the DP if we can.

Thanks!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,742 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney Dining Plan Separately?

I believe you must buy at least a one day ticket to get the dining plan.

Donna

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,953 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney Dining Plan Separately?

If you add a single MYW ticket to your room for each person (ie make it into a package) then you should be able to buy the Dining plan.

You say you don't need tickets, but this could be for an extra day or you could use it on a future visit or you could apply it to an annual pass. Or if your current tickts are no expiry ones, you could save one of those days for another time.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney Dining Plan Separately?

Do you not need tickets because you're an Annual Passholder? Because, if you are, there's Table's in Wonderland. Info here: http://allears.net/din/dde.htm

Otherwise, if the tickets were also a gift from your mom (with the hotel stay), contact Disney and see if you can merge all of that into one package eligible for the DDP.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney Dining Plan Separately?

If y'all are annual passholders and your Polynesian reservation can be changed you could re-book through the passholder site at disneyworld.com. Annual passholders can add the Dining Plan to their room reservation without having to purchase tickets :-)

Jennifer

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney Dining Plan Separately?

Are you sure you want the DDP?

Having done the math... it never adds up for me! I don't need or want desert with my counter service meals. I don't need desert with every meal

(And no, you probably won't "walk off" the calories. Remember standing in line does not count as "walking" and strollling the parks is not really an "areobic" workout)

Edited: 19 October 2010, 19:11
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney Dining Plan Separately?

The DDP has to be bought as part of a package and you need to buy at least one day of tickets to qualify-I didn't see that you are an annual passholder which makes a difference. And everyone on the reservation has to buy the DDP. We do not use the plan,it is way too much food for us but if you want to add it,just make your reservation a package and save the tickets for the future

pa
Level Contributor
54,088 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney Dining Plan Separately?

It might help if we had more facts

Why don't you need Tickets ? Who did your Mom book with ? Was the reservation made using a discount offer or Pin code ?

As a side note, what a lovely thing for your Mom to do :)

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,866 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney Dining Plan Separately?

What a nice surprise! Have fun! I went in august and did not get the dp and I ended up spending a little less. Plus as others have said 2 desserts a day is a lot. At night we prefer to get ice cream somewhere else for our dessert (beaches and cream for example). We find the plan can be restrictive at times. Also tips and liquor are not included.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney Dining Plan Separately?

The Disney Dining Plan is not available as an a la carte add-on. Unless you are a DVC owner who is staying at a DVC resort using your points, then the only way to purchase the Disney Dining Plan is to book a package.

Yes, it's true that Annual Passholders do not have to purchase tickets as part of their dining package, but yet it is still considered a package by Disney. This may be important to some people, as the cancelation terms and payment terms differ between room-only reservations and packages. A room-only reservation requires a 1-night deposit and then the balance is due at check-in. A package requires a $200 deposit with the balance due by 45 days before the trip (if you book the package fewer than 45 days before the trip, then the full cost of the package is due immediately, at the time the reservation is made).

In other words, Annual Passholders who like to or need to wait to pay for the trip until the time of check-in are out of luck if they wish to book the Disney Dining Plan.

And as you've already learned, non-DVC members and non-Annual Passholders who wish to purchase the DDP must do so as part of a package. This sort of package MUST include at least a minimal ticket purchase of a 1-day base ticket (but of course it can be a bigger ticket, as well).

A 1-day base ticket costs $82. You will have to pay this in addition to the daily cost of the DDP. In other words, you have to pay an $82 premium per person just for the priviledge of being allowed to buy the DDP. This eats into any savings you hope to realize by buying the DDP versus paying out-of-pocket.

Edited: 19 October 2010, 23:16
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney Dining Plan Separately?

You can order it seperately and I am not sure if they will still allow it but when we were at Disney we purchased two meal plans and between four individuals were allowed to share. We did this about five years ago I am not sure if the same would apply now.

As for worrying about calories as one person noted - I guess with walking about the park from 8 in the morning until 8 pm at night (you aren't standing in line 12 hours straight) I wouldn't worry about it none of our family gained any weight utilizing the meal plan and who cares anyway you are on vacation.

Have fun and enjoy! There are many wonderful places to eat!