We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we hire a car in Orlando

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Should we hire a car in Orlando

Going for 12 days in two weeks time. We were planning on using Public Transport to get to the parks to save some cash but a couple of people have said this is madness and that we should hire a car. Any expert opinions out there?

pa
Level Contributor
53,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we hire a car in Orlando

Welcome to the Forum

Where will you be staying ? What Parks will you be visiting ?

It can of course be done and you can save money but there are some factors to be thought about :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we hire a car in Orlando

Thanks. We are staying on I-Drive and wil be doing Disney, Universal, seaworld and Discovery Cove.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we hire a car in Orlando

personally I would always hire a car especially in the summer. You do not want to be hanging around in the soaring heat waiting for buses. It can be done by public transport but for convenience hire a car, you will not regret it.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,477 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we hire a car in Orlando

I prefer the freedom and spped a car gives me. Waiting for a bus in the current temps and humidty would be awful for me. But others do.

Cars come into their own if you want to go in/out of a park in the day, for shopping, and for trips to the beaches and state parks. If your hotel is in Disney or Universal. or has contiunous shuttles like the DTD hotels do you wont' need one.

Or just for convenience and comfort. But don't forget to factor in parking at the parks each day as it costs $14.

Edited: 19 July 2010, 21:23
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,398 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we hire a car in Orlando

If you would feel comfortable driving in an unfamiliar area, but with good signage and directions, I would recommend getting a car.

Having a car gives you real freedom to come and go as you like without having to be on someone else's schedule. You will have to pay for parking at the theme parks, but this is about the only "downside" I can see.

I personally feel much time is wasted on waiting around for public busses and the transfers can be confusing. The I-ride trolley is always so crowded as well, it's not a pleasurable experience.

It all depends on whether your time is more valueable than your dollars or vice versa.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we hire a car in Orlando

Yes this is the best way to go and the most convenient. some will argue that its not the cheapest . But if you are paying for shuttles and taxi's the end result will not be much different.

But I accept you can do it cheaper . But I wouldn't. If i had to go without a car i would not go

pa
Level Contributor
53,597 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we hire a car in Orlando

I think you will be fine. The cost of a car rental plus the cost of parking at the Parks ( and maybe at your hotel, be sure to check into that as well ) just seems alot of $ to me and I can think of alot of other things to spend the $ on ( Alot of Ice cream treats comes to mind :)

You can always get the odd Taxi if you are in need of getting somewhere in a hurry but who wants to be in a hurry ? you're on Holiday, take your time and relax

Taxi service if needed 407 - 422 - 2222

www.mearstransportation.com

Public Bus service

www.golynx.com

Have a Swell Holiday

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,796 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we hire a car in Orlando

You don't ***need*** a car. And, actually, you don't need anyone to tell you how convenient having one will be. Of course you can come and go exactly as you please, and so on.

But a rental car does come at a not inconsiderable cost and it's quite, quite feasible to enjoy a vaction in Orlando without one. Including rent, insurance, fuel, and (in particular) parking costs - reckon on a minimum of GBP200 per week. Money you don't need to spend in fact.

The alternative? There is a very inexpensive, frequent and comfortable local bus network that will carry you from I-Drive to almost anywhere you might want to go - but not, for example, as far as either coast.

Details of the bus services you can use on I-Drive are in this article: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34515-c116996/Orland… Unlimited use of the whole LYNX system (which covers all of Central Florida) costs just $16 per person per week. Services are frequent, running typically every 30 minutes and they run late enough (except perhaps on Sunday evenings) for most purposes.

But, to put it into context - it will take perhaps 30-40 minutes longer each way to reach the Magic Kingdom by bus than by car. So you will need to set out earlier. And, of course, you will need transfers from your airport to your hotel. If your package doesn't include one and you are coming into Orlando International, then you can get there by bus. But Sanford is much further out and not on a bus route. The cost of shuttles or taxis may mitigate the cost of a rental car to some extent.

It's a decision only you can make. I hope that the article (please do read it) will help you decide, properly informed, whether "not driving" suits you. If it helps, my next trip to Orlando will be my twelfth; twelve trips without any car at all. And no plans nor desires to have one in future, either.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,477 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we hire a car in Orlando

The do NEED reminding exactly how hot and humid it will be then and how will impact them in waiting for public transport.

The force of the weather is always a bit of a shock for new arrivals.

PMP
Cambridge, England...
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we hire a car in Orlando

You could try a couple of days without a car when you first arrive and then if you think it unsuitable - hire one for the last week or so - or vice-versa. You don't say how many of you, are there children - they won't want to wait at the bus stops in the heat, and if you are carrying shopping/food, towels/swimwear/cooler bags etc, the car boot comes in very handy.

Cars and insurance can be expensive but are more convenient.