We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glad to be home, sad to be home

Minnesota
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Glad to be home, sad to be home

Well my Disney vacation is over and I definitely have the Post Disney Blues. I intended to do daily trip reports, but don't know where my time went. By the time you get back to your hotel room at the end of the day, you just crash.

We headed out on Thursday morning & our plane sat on the runway for two and a half hours! The plane had mechanical problems so there we sat. Never had that happen before. This was not off to a very good start. Finally got to Orlando Thursday evening & headed to Epcot for Illuminations. Stopped at the Cantina at Mexico - their menu is limited but wonderful food. Great Pina Coladas - went back there three times during our trip. The kids caught the Maelstrom at Norway while hubbie & I grabbed a good spot to view Illuminations. For the first time I needed a jacket in Florida - a little chilly.

Actually met some people from back home - always love that.

Friday morning - pouring rain. Rainy and windy all day long. My daughter was getting married that day in the beautiful Florida sunshine - nope. It was not to be. Our hotel had a very nice banquet room decorated for Christmas, so that was our indoor backup wedding spot. Not what we had in mind, but still very nice. Then off to DTD to Fulton's Crabhouse for our reception dinner. Took rental car to the restaurant, and then put on our ponchos for a dash in the pouring rain. Bride &Groom got the big umbrella. Good thing we had a sense of humor. The Bride and Groom didn't care, just so we were all there. People were so nice wishing them well and congratulating them.

Dinner at Fulton's was fantastic. Then onto Raglan Road for music and cocktails, Bride & Groom being greeted along the way. Ended the evening at House of Blues where there was a live band. Had a great time inspite of the rain & what a storie they have to tell about their wedding night!

Saturday morning - finally a full day of Disney ahead of us. Grabbed breakfast sandwiches at the hotel & took them on the bus heading to Hollywood Studios. Got there early morning so lines were very short. Went to Great Movie Ride & then headed to Tower of Terror & Rockin Rollercoaster - this is the ride I waited all these months for. My favorite rollercoaster & just a blast. Did RRC & TOT twice that day. Mama Melrose's for lunch - Chicken Parmigian good just a little salty, Chicken Flatbread, and of course my favorite Bellini to drink. Still raining outside so threw on our ponchos for Back Lot Tour & then headed to Little Mermaid. Narnia kind of a waste of time. Decided to skip Beauty and the Beast this trip. Kids were tired so they went back to the hotel & Mom & Dad headed to MK for parade and fireworks. For the first time since I've visited Disney we had shoulder to shoulder crowds. Everyone was at MK because the park was open til 1 a.m. and everyone wanted to see the fireworks & parade. We pushed thru the crowds & headed to Space Mountain - some very nice people offered us their fast passes, so no wait. The new Space Mountain is great!! Went to Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder Mountain. Grabbed some chocolates on Main Street, but still pretty crowded. Left the park at closing. One thing we noticed was the absence of characters. Does Mickey not come out in the rain? We did not see Mickey or Minnie our entire trip.

Sunday - a warmer day but still took the ponchos. Off to Animal Kingdom early because if closes at 7 p.m. There is so much more walking in this park compared to the others - everything very spread out. Headed to Everist to grab fast passes. Tried to go on Dinosaur but as we were in the staging area the ride quit. Left and went to grab food. Just did counter service - chicken nuggets and fries. Didn't make an ADR at Rainforest because we have that at home. Went on Everist twice - amazing ride!!! Kids bought Dad a sweatshirt in the gift shop there, they have great stuff. Grabbed ice cream and popcorn. Went to Nemo - a must see. Kids went on the water ride while Mom snapped some pictures. Had on their ponchos & still managed to get wet. Went on Safari and headed to the bus about 5. Wanted to make it to ESPN at Boardwalk for Viking football. We made it and walked right in - no wait?!?!? Got the best seat in the house right in front of the Jumbo Big Screen.

Monday - our last full day at Disney so jam packed. Everyone off to MK. Did a family picture in front of the castle. Ran to Space Mountain, no wait. Then we split up and went to Jungle Cruise, Pirates of Carib, and Big Thunder. Everyone but Mom did Splash Mountain. Grabbed quick service for lunch. Left MK to go to Epcot. Hubbie ran ahead & got us all fast passes for Soarin. Went to Sum of All Thrills - very short wait. This is a fantastic new Disney idea & we loved it. The rider ahead of me lost their hat in the ride ( you put everything else in a little locker but not hats??) so when I got on & put the 'lid' over me, when the ride started all of a sudden I had someone else's hat flying in my face. And your arms are actually outside of your 'lid' so I couldn't get the hat out of my face! A little disappointment. Off to Mexico for our ADR. Very dark in that restaurant - you can not see your food! Grabbed another Pina Colada. Did the boat ride at Mexico and Norway, then went to Mission Space (twice) and Honey I Shrunk the Audience. Wished Disney would put in more lights,you can hardly see the person in front of you it is just so dark. Headed over to The Land and grabbed dessert. Had our Fast Passes for Soarin but as we were waiting a group of a hundred girls came up with their fast passes right before us, so fast pass not so fast. This ride was totally worth the wait. Would have loved to go again. A great way to end our trip.

Hope you all like long trip reports! I've enjoyed reading so many of them couldn't help but share mine.

Thanks to everyone who offered all of their great advice. Thanks to you it was another great Disney adventure. We are already planning for next time.

England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glad to be home, sad to be home

sounds like a fantastic trip. What are the main differences to the new space mountain from the old one?

winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glad to be home, sad to be home

Wow! Sounds so jampacked full of fun I am tired! Congratulations to the bride and groom..great idea to get married in Orlando and combine it with a stress release trip to the parks. Too bad about the rain though. Oh well, I hear it is supposed to be lucky if it rains on your wedding day!

Just wondering, could you elaborate a little more about Fultons? We are thinking of going there. Could you tell us what you had that was good?

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glad to be home, sad to be home

Sounds like a funny wet wedding lol

I think You did great with the tripreport ! Nice to hear that You all had so good time there, and managed to do a lot even with all the people around.

Mutter

Minnesota
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glad to be home, sad to be home

I would swear it was even darker than before, and it seemed a little longer and faster.

England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glad to be home, sad to be home

sounds good, thanks.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glad to be home, sad to be home

We had been to Fulton's before and sat on the upper deck of the boat where you get the best view. So it was our first choice for restaurants close to our hotel. I had the Alaskan King Crab with red potatoes. If I had it again, I would see if they would crack it for me. Love crabmeat, but the claws are rough on the hands when you're trying to pry them open! They have a great wine list & I had the Riesling. My husband loves mussels & scallops so he had the Seafood Cioppinno. I sampled his scallops - fantastic. My son-in-law had the Striped Bass, also a good choice. Everything was very good, even the fresh bread. Their seafood is fresh every day. Their servers do an excellent job. When you make your reservation be sure to request a table on the upper deck so you get the best view.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glad to be home, sad to be home

Thanks, good tip about the upper deck

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
13,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glad to be home, sad to be home

That was such a great report. Thanks for writing it! Sounds like your family knows how to have good time...even in the rain! Good for you. I agree about Mexico being dark.It cracks me up. I took out my little pocket flashlight last year. I'm sooooo glad you went on Soarin. I think it's the best thing at Epcot.

I could ride that thing all night!! Welcome back to the real world. ;+>

9. Re: Glad to be home, sad to be home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2010, 10:45