We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA To Charge For Seat Selection!

Bradford, West...
Level Contributor
545 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
BA To Charge For Seat Selection!

You watch Virgin, A.A and the rest all follow suit now. Was only a matter of time. Air Travel has become such a tight business that these are the things that will soon be the norm for airlines to survive. Sad as all air travel will go down the Low Cost airlines route and charge for everything soon.

http://tinyurl.com/yejmvsd

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
482 Reviews
from US$ 54.99*
US$ 59.00
Kennedy Space Center, Everglades...
191 Reviews
from US$ 128.99*
Crystal River Snorkeling, Everglades...
132 Reviews
from US$ 118.99*
Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral
40 Reviews
from US$ 53.49*
newtonhill scotland
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA To Charge For Seat Selection!

Hi Just read about this seat charges, if i was to fly from Edinburh to LGW does that mean i get charged for each flight, and is this charge going to cover return or one way flights ?

UK
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: BA To Charge For Seat Selection!

BA have also got rid of the hot towels used in Business class, short haul meals/refreshments and staff subsidised meals. They are talking about cutting the perks of being a retired worker.The BASSA described BA as 'a skeleton airline running on a shoestring budget governed by a second string management. We cant go on like this and the passengers are not mugs'.

On top of the £3 billion owed to the pension fund, I dont envy the shareholders!.

I am sure other airlines will follow suit and in a couple of years it will be back to the good old days when only the rich can fly. I am sure some on the forum would welcome that!lol. J.

Bradford, West...
Level Contributor
545 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA To Charge For Seat Selection!

I think the charge will be per person and 1 way!!!!

So Long Haul you are talking £40 return to pick your seats. Extra Legroom seats and you are talking silly money.

The reason BA are doing this is because there is a lot of money to be made. Research has been done and found people will pay for stuff like this, priority boarding etc.

If you don't pay for your seat, then if you turn up early at Check In, you can still ask for a certain seat if it hasn't already been taken. That is what I have always done.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA To Charge For Seat Selection!

Its not a mandatory charge, nobody is being forced to pay it so if 90% of the flight dont select seats at time of booking then there are still 90% of seats available to select at check-in. The earlier you check in, the more choice you have so if you are flying from Edinburgh via London to Orlando you actually get to check-in earlier than passengers who begin their journey in London.

Passengers with young children must be seated together anyway (or across an aisle).

I think its a good move to try and raise revenue, the principle is no different to the charter airlines where you can prepay to sit together. Virgin have been charging extra for the exit row seats for ages.

As for the shorthaul meals/beverages, after 10am you dont get a meal, but the drinks and snacks are still provided throughout the flight.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA To Charge For Seat Selection!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34515-i19-k311409…

It was in the business pages yesterday

newtonhill scotland
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA To Charge For Seat Selection!

CWF

Article i just read said charges were for each sector (does that mean each flight)If this the case £60 round trip, or as you say booking in at edinburgh has its advantages. Will seat selection be taken away from on-line checkin 24hrs before?

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA To Charge For Seat Selection!

Yes its per sector, but the online check-in still opens at 24hrs before your first departure, so you can get seats the day before your Edinburgh flight leaves rather than when the LGW-MCO flight leaves.

passengers with infants can select seats for free at time of booking.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
UK
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: BA To Charge For Seat Selection!

The charges are as follows: £10 pp each way for a European flight(short haul): £20 pp each way long haul in economy and £60 pp long haul in Business or upper.

If you are a family of 4 this will add £160 per holiday.

Clubworldfan.., I dont know what refreshments you will get on any European flights but it will not include drinks or sandwiches (BA's own figures released via Mail and Sky.

It is probable that others will follow and that will be the death of the travel industry as only the few will be able to afford to fly anywhere with luggage. These are all BAs own statements and NOT mine before I am jumped upon by the BA lovers union.J.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA To Charge For Seat Selection!

Jasonceo, there is no meal or sandwich on shorthaul flights after 10am, drinks are still available.

The charge to pre-select your seats is not compulsory and nobody will be forced to pay it, so the fewer passengers that do pay the fee means there are still lots of seats together at time of check in.

newtonhill scotland
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA To Charge For Seat Selection!

jason the £160 you mentioned would be for long haul. family of 4 like mine would have + £80 for connection flight as well. The £240 would cover 1 nights accom and car parking in Glasgow then i could charter .....

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK