We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-chain restaurants near Disney

Argyle, Texas
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Non-chain restaurants near Disney

Hi all - this is my first post in the Orlando forum, happy to be joining y'all in planning a trip!!!!

I am interested in what restaurants are near Disney that are NOT part of a national chain (I can eat at those at home). We are staying at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek and will have a rental car.

Looking for places to do dinner, probably without the kids - although kid friendly places would be great too, we are bringing our almost 2 year old and our new baby who will be around 2 months old at the time.

Thanks in advance :)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-chain restaurants near Disney

Tough to find non chain restaurants in the tourist area.

Here are a few along with some that are smaller regional chains

T-Rex at DD

Spoodles and Flying Fish Cafe at Disney's Boardwalk

Bahama Breeze...chain but smaller

Cafe Tu Tu Tango on I'drive

Also Restaurant Row on Sand Lake Rd has plenty of options.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i10550-Restaura…

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,102 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-chain restaurants near Disney

Very near to you, at Crossraods shopping center is Jonnie's Hideaway. Very Adult, yet kids would be fine there, steaks and seafood. Dinner only, and a taxi here wouldn't be much if you wanted to leave the car behind. IF you bring the kids, there is a great minigolf next door.

Bahama Breeze is a chain, but there aren't many of them about and I bet you don't have one in your town. Good food, great drinks, fun atmosphere with music at times.

Have a look at the Village of Celebration. SOuth of Disney off rt192, you'll find noin chain gems like Celebration Town Tavern and Columbia restaurants.

At DTD I like Fultons seafood, and at the Boardwalk, you won't go wrong with Flying Fish. New place opening soon where Spoodles was and I'd try that. Very adult and upscale is Todd English Blue Zoo across the water at the Dolphin/Swan. There are upscale individual restaurants like Citrico's, NArcoosee's and Califirnia Grill at the delux Disney resorts. From some, you can see the MK Wishes fireworks, and although adutl, they have great kids menu's there. You can also leave the car home if you wish as you can get there via Disney transport. Have a look at some of the menus (DTD too) here:

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

Argyle, Texas
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-chain restaurants near Disney

Thanks to you both :)

Amanx, we actually DO have a Bahama Breeze here, so I have been there :) I can imagine that coming from a small town (or from across the pond) a lot of the chains would be something different from the norm, and Bahama Breeze is definitely good eats :)

All other suggestions still welcome - I love having options :)

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-chain restaurants near Disney

Will encounter some chains, but mostly smaller ones:

Downtown Disney

At Resort Hotels including those at Disney and Universal

Celebration

Sand Lake Rd "Restaurant Row"

Pointe Orlando

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-chain restaurants near Disney

I guess my first question would be if you will have transportation or not. I fyou do have transportation that opens it up a little bit. As 1013Orlando said Sand Lake Road area has some great places. Although we have not been to Moon Fish on Sand Lake we have been to the sister property Bone Fish (not to be mistaken with Fish Bones) and the food there is wonderful. There is also Le Coq Au Vin on Orange Ave, it is great as well.

Of course now that I read my suggestions, I don't think either of these are really kid friendly.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,396 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-chain restaurants near Disney

Do you have the Sweet Tomatoes in TX? That would be a unique experience for you.

Rather pricy, but unique also is Texas De Brazil on I-Drive.

As stated, unless you go with a resort or theme park restaurant around Disney or some of the DTD ones, there's just not much that's not a chain in the area.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-chain restaurants near Disney

Think you have that backwards blondie. It is confusing isn't it?!? :) FishBones and MoonFish are part of Talk of the Town talkofthetownrestaurants.com/tott_home.html

Bonefish is not and definitely a chain...but not in Texas I don't think...and this is what would be my choice out of the three.

BTW, noticing a "Summer of 69" promotion on the talk website which includes Charleys, Johnnies and some others in addition the the above...

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,102 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Non-chain restaurants near Disney

Maile,

most states don't have one and the nearest one to me in Florida is 1.5 hours away so I don't consider it local lol.

Do you have a Season's 52, a Roy's, or a McCormick and Schmicks nearby? All high quality small chains with outlets in Orlando attractions area.

Basically the best non chain places are on Disney and Universal properties in many cases.

There are good hole in the wall places too.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Non-chain restaurants near Disney

Hi,

I second vote for SWEET TOMATOES- fab place, wish we had them in UK!!

Would never have found it if it had not been highly reccommended on here as abit tucked away at the crossroads on vineland road LBV x

Argyle, Texas
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Non-chain restaurants near Disney

Awesome - thanks guys. I'll google Sand Lake Rd and see what is available there and I will definitely check out Sweet Tomatoes since it was mentioned more than once.

We do have a Texas de Brazil here as well as Roy's and McCormick and Schmicks.

I've been to Bonefish (In Tennessee) but hubby hasn't - and he's the seafood eater, I bet he would LOVE it.

Amanx - any specific hole in the wall type joints? Sometimes those are the best food and local flavor :)

Keep the suggestions coming y'all!!!!