We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Universal studios off season

Tennessee
Level Contributor
50 posts
91 reviews
61 helpful votes
Universal studios off season
Save

I'm planning to come back universal during a off peak times probably between December to February, my question is are there ever certain times of the year when some rides are closed for maybe Maintence such as water rides etc? I know off peak is less crowded but I still want to be able to ride the popular rides.

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
516 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Universal studios off season
Save

At least 1 water ride was closed (I think 2 were) during our January visit. It was mid-50s on that trip so we wouldn't have gone on anyway.

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
20,583 posts
143 reviews
143 helpful votes
2. Re: Universal studios off season
Save

Is there such a thing as "off season" these days??

They have to do maintenance on all the rides at some time or other. I'm sure there are sties dedicated to maintenance..

Have you searched on Universal website?? They may have planned works on there..

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
13 reviews
32 helpful votes
3. Re: Universal studios off season
Save

December is not off peak time. Crowds get crazy in December and will taper off after the first weekend in January.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
22,385 posts
82 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: Universal studios off season
Save

If you're wanting to do water rides, I wouldn't suggest going in winter, cold fronts can come through and water parks will close when temps go low. As mentioned I wouldn't be riding the water rides within the regular parks during that time if the temps go low. September after Labor Day is a good time to go and still hot weather :)

Texas
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
66 reviews
47 helpful votes
5. Re: Universal studios off season
Save

You can Google universal rides closed for maintenance and you can see the early 2021 closures. It will likely be similar, maybe. They definitely closed the Hogwarts Express for a day also.

Agree not usually warm enough for the water rides at that time.

Watch for Mardi Gras celebrations as those weekends will be busy, as well as Presidents Day and MArtin Luther King weekend.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
808 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Universal studios off season
Save

The thing is that IDK if there will be an off season this year... with the 50th and that cases are rising again right now no one is going that much. So I think that more people are holding off and if it calms down by the winter months then we will see a huge increase in attendance.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
47 posts
57 reviews
30 helpful votes
7. Re: Universal studios off season
Save

Disney used to post their hotel rates online so you can see when it’s quietest in Orlando. Usually the weekend after big holiday weekends are quieter than others like after Labor Day (afternoon rain risk) and Thanksgiving.

Wemyss Bay, United...
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Universal studios off season
Save

I can’t really comment in regard to Disney, but you didn’t ask about Disney anyway… 😁

They do tend to close water rides due to lower temperatures at that time of year, a quick Google will return several web sites where scheduled ride closures are published in advance and certainly those do tend to be during off-peak. There’s plenty of new things happening so do compare your dates, for example the rather dated Posideon has boards up just now. Just be certain your favourites are open.

The more complex rides such as Hagrid can close for a few hours due to technical reasons. Such as a small child losing a few limbs, old folks having a heart attack and kicking the bucket or simply something breaking on the machine itself. Don’t believe me? Search ‘deaths in theme parks’ and count them, even a baby in a backpack at Disney fell out of a coaster and died.

Enjoy your winter trip in a beautiful time of year.

Wemyss Bay, United...
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Universal studios off season
Save

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Universal_parks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_at_Walt_Disney_World

Reply to: Universal studios off season
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.