We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good choice?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
Is this a good choice?

Hi all,

Me and my husband are planning to visit Orlando on Dec 12th.Would like to stay there for 3-4 days and then visit Miami. But my concern is, is it worth visiting the theme parks during December? As its a holiday season we heard that it gets very crowded and need to wait in long queue for every ride? Any tips appreciated.

Edited: 17 November 2018, 06:34
9 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
637 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Is this a good choice?

It’ll be busy but your timing is actually pretty good because the holiday crowd will start showing up in full force about the time you’re ready to leave Orlando. Whichever park you really really want to see go visit in your first or second day.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
2. Re: Is this a good choice?

Thanks a lot! Obviously Disney and Universal is my top priority :)

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
10,311 posts
188 reviews
3. Re: Is this a good choice?

3-4 days isn’t enough time for both Disney and Universal. There are 6 theme parks between them alone, excluding water parks.

You need to decide what Disney parks you wish to do ASAP and buy tickets as the FastPass reservation window is open for everyone on those dates already so the most popular rides might be booked up. FastPass is a system to help minimize time in line that is free with your Disney ticket, but you must plan ahead to get “good” rides and times.

Universal you can purchase Express Passes and is much easier to do on the fly with little planning.

Texas
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
298 reviews
4. Re: Is this a good choice?

Agree that isn’t enough time.

My daughter has a spring break with her school and they had the same idea.

Then we did a parent vote and voted out Universal.

I think the only people trying to “do it all,” were people that had not been and were not familiar with the size of the parks.

You would want to plan FPs for the rides, no matter when you go. No need to stand in long lines.

Edited: 18 November 2018, 03:35
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
5. Re: Is this a good choice?

Thanks a lot for the inputs. Will be visiting some other time may be when the crowd is less..

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Is this a good choice?

Sorry that you are giving up on the parks. The time you were proposing was a time with a slightly lower crowd expectation. It will start getting really busy about the time you plan to leave. This is a good time for Orlando. Noticed you are also posting on Colorado forum for same time period. Two totally different experiences!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
44,321 posts
96 reviews
7. Re: Is this a good choice?

Shravani,

Understand that the time you'll be visiting isn't the "Heavy Holiday" crowd time, and that just about any time of year you visit nowadays will be just as crowded (or more so) than when you were planning for. If the crowd levels are the only thing keeping you away, you'll never come.

I'm headed to WDW in two week, and it's going to be very crowded that week, but no more so than other non-holiday weeks. It's just the way it is nowadays, and it won't be getting any better in the future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
637 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Is this a good choice?

Shravani you don’t have to visit every theme park to experience Disney and Universal. 3-4 days is plenty to have a great time. You’ll definitely want to do Disney Fast Passes and if you get a few rides booked early that’s great but Ive gone several times with no advance fast passes and got on all the major rides the day of. It’s a very easy system to use but you kind of need to see how it works to understand it.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41,759 posts
674 reviews
9. Re: Is this a good choice?

Yes you can visit in December.

Reply to: Is this a good choice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted