We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Cards

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
84 reviews
Currency Cards

So I've been looking around at foreign exchange sites and working out who gives the best rates for our upcoming trip to Orlando and I will be taking about £200 cash and the rest on a pre-paid currency card. Now I've been talking online to some F.X. professionals who said that some retailers will charge for using these cards. Has anyone heard of this sort of thing happening in Orlando? To give you an idea of where we are spending the money: WDW, Uni Studios, International drive, Kennedy Space Center, Boggy Creek, restaurants such as Ponderosa, Dennys, things like the Florida Mall and so on. Last time I went I took travelers cheques and don't remember being charged to convert these... (maybe times have changed I need to catch up!) one thing I wont be doing is taking it all in cash.. The cards are the usual Mastercard/visa prepaid cards

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
516 Reviews
from US$ 54.99*
US$ 59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
200 Reviews
from US$ 148.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: Icon Orlando...
22 Reviews
from US$ 51.99*
US$ 87.87
18 replies to this topic
Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
1. Re: Currency Cards

I've used a Caxton Fx card for more than 5 or 6 years it's been accepted all over the USA and never once been charged for using it. The 1 exception is most 🏧 ATMs charge for withdrawing cash but you don't really need cash as plastic is king

edinburgh
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Currency Cards

I used a Revolut card for the first time on our last trip, I used it for almost everything including tips, and was not charged any extra for using it,

Edited: 06 June 2018, 13:45
edinburgh
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Currency Cards

Sorry just to confirm, I didn’t use it at an ATM

Edited: 06 June 2018, 13:46
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
180 reviews
4. Re: Currency Cards

Check the individual terms of each card, but generally speaking they do not charge you to use them like a debit card in a shop. We used the Thomas Cook Cash Passport and it was very simple to use. A lot of the cards, however as mentioned above do charge for cash withdrawal from ATMs, so try to avoid doing that. I think maybe FairFX or Revolut doesn't charge? Check the T&Cs to be sure.

Portadown, United...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Currency Cards

I also use a caxton fx card and have done for many years.

If you need a cash withdrawal Regions Bank ATM does not charge a fee on the Caxton card.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Currency Cards

I use revolut, can fault the card it’s been great.

Level Contributor
25 posts
7. Re: Currency Cards

Just come back from Orlando and used Revolut!

Couldn't recommend it enough! Great FX rates, easy to use app, no charges (only if an ATM warns you that there will be a charge).

I could even sync it with my Uber app to charge my using Revolut

Nowhere had a problem with it at all.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
84 reviews
8. Re: Currency Cards

Hi All

Thanks for the feedback, looks like almost no one has heard of this, so maybe they were just trying to (shall we say) slightly increase the amount I bought to cover any unexpected fees... Awesome news... thanks for all your help and advice

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
520 posts
46 reviews
9. Re: Currency Cards

Hi,

I used the Thomas Cook Cash Passport Card, I used it everywhere, even the smaller outlets selling Pretzels or ice creams etc. They dont charge for spending unless you withdraw from an ATM, which i didn't do, and didn't feel the need to do because i could just use it everywhere anyway. :D

west mids, UK
Level Contributor
189 posts
250 reviews
10. Re: Currency Cards

Vjust back and I used the fair FX card. No problems using it and no charges. I didn't use a.n ATM. I used it everywhere and at Disney it printed at the bottom of the receipt how much was left on the card

Reply to: Currency Cards
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted