We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Disney booking and opinions on our itinerary

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Disney booking and opinions on our itinerary

We will be going to Disney World early May with my wife and 2 year old for three nights. Personally, this is the first time going to Disney for me, so everything is a little overwhelming at the moment.

Right now, I'm thinking spending the first night at Animal Kingdom Lodge, and the remaining two nights at a resort near Magic Kingdom (thinking the Polynesian resort). As for activities, we are thinking doing the Animal Kingdom on Day 1. For Day 2, I'm leaning towards chilling at the Lodge, move over to the Polynesian resort, chill there, and have a character dining. And finally for Day 3, we will do the Magic Kingdom. Does all this sound reasonable?

Also, I'm at Undercover Tourist right now looking at prices. Do I book the stays at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Polynesian separately? Also, do I purchase the park tickets separately, or can I combine everything as part of a package?

Mentioned in this post
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Animal Kingdom...
7,479 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
60,629 Reviews
Orlando, FL
5 replies to this topic
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,011 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Disney booking and opinions on our itinerary

Character dining for this May could already be booked solid; WDW dining can be reserved 180 days ahead of time, so you are way behind on booking.

Change resorts if you wish, but there's really no need with the WDW transportation available. It might be easier on you to simply stay at one resort, but at least WDW will move your luggage for you if you do want to book more than one. Be sure to check to see what's still available. You are getting a late start for planning a trip for May 2018.

Yes, you must book all WDW resort separately, but they will all be tied to your My Disney Experience account, so be sure you have that set up properly before you begin. While U.T. is a great company for tickets, I would book any resort reservations directly with Disney so you have full and total control yourself, not a third party.

You can book a package or separately either one, but if you're considering a dining plan, you must book a package deal with resort and tickets together for that.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,925 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Disney booking and opinions on our itinerary

For a short trip pick one hotel, as mentioned the transport will take you where you need to go. Call Disney see what's available hopefully with a room discount and just buy your Disney tickets right from Disney (no discount on a two day ticket). If you want a character meal get right on the website and see what's available (you don't need to have your hotel/tickets booked to make a dining reservation at this point). Good luck :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
168 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Disney booking and opinions on our itinerary

I wouldn't do 2 hotels for such a short stay, especially with a little one. You'll waste time packing and unpacking. Plus, you'll have to check out of your first resort by 11:00 and your new room may not be ready until 3:00, so you're essentially "homeless" for the day. We did that once with a 2 and 4 yr old and totally regretted it, especially when it came to nap time.

Also, I'd consider 3 park days, one at AK and two at MK.

sugar land, texas
Level Contributor
4,218 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Disney booking and opinions on our itinerary

I’d stay at one resort.

Preferably close to MK.

Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge.

Chef Mickey’s is a nice character meal located in the Contemporary.

Or do Crystal Palace in MK with Pooh and friends.

Mentioned in this post
Chef Mickey's
Chef Mickey's
4,930 Reviews
Orlando, FL
The Crystal Palace
The Crystal Palace
4,635 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Disney booking and opinions on our itinerary

I know you asked about booking resorts but if you are going in early May your date for selecting Fast Passes is coming up in less than a month if you are staying at a Disney resort. Our stay begins on May 4th so the FP date is March 5...60 days prior to our resort reservation. You won't want to miss the opportunity to select FP - 3 per day. It will save you lots of time in line.

And yes agree with others...no need to switch resorts with a 3 night stay. With a 2 year old, that might be more of a burden than it's worth. Since you are planning MK days, I would say your entire stay at the Poly might be more convenient since you can ride the monorail one stop to the MK from the Poly.

You could probably still get an 'Ohana reservation for breakfast if you act fast. I did a quick check for availability for 3 people and there were times on May 6, 7 and 8 so probably other dates as well but don't delay. 'Ohana would be easiest since it's at the Poly but a lot of people like Chef Mickey's which is at the Contemporary.

Mentioned in this post
Chef Mickey's
Chef Mickey's
4,930 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Reply to: Questions about Disney booking and opinions on our itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted