We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-75 vs I-95..which one to use??

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
557 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
I-75 vs I-95..which one to use??

We have never driven to Florida, and wonder which highway to take...I-75 or I-95 . Any advantages to either one?? We are coming from Ontario and will be taking our time and staying over a couple of nights somewhere before we get to Orlando. Is one a more scenic route? Thanks for any help/suggestions!!

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-75 vs I-95..which one to use??

We drive from northeast P.A., and we prefer to take route 95.

When you get close to Jacksonville, you can also take route 295 which takes you around Jacksonville to bypass the traffic. Then, you pick 95 up again after Jacksonville. This is the way we have always gone, and we have never run into any trouble. How many hours is the ride for you from Ontario?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-75 vs I-95..which one to use??

All things being equal, I'd say take the one that takes the least time.

As far as scenery, talking about strictly those roads, I-95 is closer to the beaches and of course the NE urban centers (don't know where you'd be hitting I-95) and Washington DC. Once you get in the southern part of SC, you are also close to beaches all the way through the rest of SC, GA, and of course FL (you are relatively close to the coast on I-95 most of the way, but not until you get closer to the GA/SC border are you pretty close to beaches). And Savannah is a beautiful place to visit.

When I-75 hits Knoxville, TN, you are close to the Smokey Mountains, but would have to take a trip away from the Interstate to get them. Once you get nearer to Chattanooga and into North Georgia, there are some scenic hills and mountains (Kat can tell you some about that) and Atlanta is a big urban center, with the new aquarium (would need to make reservations beforehand); after that, not an especially interesting drive (though nothing wrong with it, either).

If you have the time, and want a more scenic route, try taking I-75 to Knoxville, TN; take I-40 east to Asheville, NC, which is in the mountains, then take I-26 from there into SC, and it will hit I-95 NW of Charleston, SC, and take I-95 South to Florida. But this will add some significant time to your trip, but you'd get the best of the mountains and the beach.

Florida
Level Contributor
801 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-75 vs I-95..which one to use??

I75 is on the west coast of Florida, I95 is on the east coast, neither one in my opinion is very scenic, maybe I75 in north Florida. I95 has the most traffic due to the northeast to Mia direct route. Would suggest I75 south to the turnpike to avoid the Tampa interchange fiasco. The turnpike starts in Ocala, it is a toll road but more direct.,:)

Florida
Level Contributor
801 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I-75 vs I-95..which one to use??

P.S. my opinion on scenery was only in the state of Flordia......

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,330 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I-75 vs I-95..which one to use??

One thing to consider as well.

I-75 in Florida and the FL turnpike are both at least three lanes in each direction, while I-95 once past Jacksonville, is only two lanes. This can make a huge difference in the time you make.

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
557 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I-75 vs I-95..which one to use??

Hmmm very interesting...now I'll go and get a map from CAA and see where the roads are that you are referring to. My parents used to drive to Florida for years but Dad has passed away so can't ask which route they chose. I'd like to stay away from big cities..for my husbands sake. I do remember my dad saying it was really confusing in the Washington area. I wish I'd listened more carefully to what he was saying!. I did travel a few years ago to Charleston South Carolina and was so in awe of Battery Park etc. that I'd like to show my husband. I only have a map of Florida so will have to figure out which hwy is near Charleston.I think the trip to Florida takes at least 2 days from Ontario..getting up very early and not stopping very often. We are retired so we don't mind going a few days early to "stop and smell the roses"! We've never driven this far so it will be a "big deal". It doesn't sound like there is much in the way of scenery unless you get off the main hwy.

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
557 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I-75 vs I-95..which one to use??

Just reread your post Eddy and taking I-75 to around S. Carolina then I-95 ...sounds like it might be a good idea if I want to visit Charleston. Is it a days drive or more from Charleston to Orlando?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I-75 vs I-95..which one to use??

Yahoo maps measures it as close to 380 miles from Charleston, SC to Orlando, FL, but depending on where in Orlando you'd be staying, it could be about 400 miles (its almost 380 to Downtown Orlando, but of course the touristy areas are to the southwest). From Charleston, you'd take US 17 about 60 miles to hit I-95 S down the road to Savannah a bit; US 17 might be a busy road however. As a point of reference, it took us 6 hours or so a few years ago to get from Orlando to Hilton Head Island, SC (near Savannah, GA), a few years ago; Hilton Head Island was about 30 miles off of I-95 or so; I don't think we did many stops.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: I-75 vs I-95..which one to use??

laing1, from Barrie to Orlando, the suggested route from a route planner is neither I-75 nor I-95 at least at the beginning of your trip.

Have a look at going via Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburg. It's I-79 into and out of Pittsburg. Then look for the I-77 branch off to Charlotte, NC continuing on to Columbia SC and out of Columbia I-77 continues until it hits I-95 near Charleston, SC.

You will pass through some scenic country after getting on to I-77 outside of Charleston, West VA, and cross into NC over the Smokey Mountains. In fact you may want to spend a night or two in the Smokies.

I'm sure your CAA will have a map of the Southeastern States, like our AAA has and this will give you enough detail of the route. In fact instead of taking I-79 all the way in to Charleston, WVA, you can take Hwy 19 which gives a bit of a short cut to I-77.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: I-75 vs I-95..which one to use??

Some more details from that trip planner:

Distance from Barrie to Orlando - 1330 miles

Driving day: 9 am to 5 pm

Number of overnights: 2

First overnight is just before you get to Charleston W. VA. at the foot of the mountains.

Second overnight is right at Savannah, GA.

So you can easily adjust your driving speed and length of day to get you into the Smokies for the first night.

Have a great trip.