We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer staying at South Seas.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
1st timer staying at South Seas.

We re coming down in 3 weeks, first time to Captiva!!! We are a party of 5 including a 4 year old. staying 5 nights.

We rented a 3 bedroom through Expedia and a rental car.

Are the 3 bedroom villas walking distance to the beach? I keep reading people talking about driving to the beach and restaurants.

Are we allowed to have our own snacks/drinks/ice chest on the beach or do you have to purchase from the resort? I can't seem to find any info on this.

What are some MUST do's with a 4 year old little boy? Other than playing in the ocean and shell hunting.

What are everyone's favorite restaurants? And do we need to call ahead and make reservations?

Also, someone posted about free breakfast or kids eat free? I don't see anything like that in my reservation. Should I just call the resort?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timer staying at South Seas.

Which Villas are you staying in? There are a number of 3 bedrooms available throughout the expansive property. NO matter which villas you are staying in, you won't be driving to the beach, but some are located closer. The Beach Villas are closest, they are beachfront.

The resort has a Trolley that runs all day to take you to different areas of the property, if you aren't close to the beach, this is how you would get there as there is no beach parking for cars. You can also bike to the beach.

The beach area is the entire length of the property and is 2 1/2 miles long at the Resort, you can access any part of the beach that you like, not just the designated Sunset Beach area. And yes, you can bring whatever you want to the beach.

SSIR has a kids club, Skullys arcade, Sanibel Sea School, fishing, treasure hunts and Nature Center all on site, lots of family activities that your four year old would enjoy!

I don't know about reservations, I'm thinking you may not need them since it's the slow season on the Island. I love Doc Fords, everything there is very good!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timer staying at South Seas.

Did your reservation through Expedia include resort amenity access? That's the important question. Without amenity access your will not be able to access any of the activites Bean mentioned above uless you pay $75 per person per day.

You will NOT need to drive to the beach from anywhere on the resort. Longest walk would be 1/3 of a mile. Local vendors will rent you beach wagon which is really convenient to haul your stuff to the beach.

Have been hauling food and beverages to the beach for 15 years. Never had a problen although technically coolers are not allowed of the beach.

Free breakfast-- if you didn't rent through SouthSeas.com, can't help you.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timer staying at South Seas.

Not sure which Villa we are in, my reservation doesn't say. I assume we will find out when we arrive?!?!?

I just called direct instead of Expedia again... I was told to pay the resort fee when we check in and we will get a card for all purchases and access to everything.

She did say free breakfast, that was a surprise! :)

Anything to skip? I thought the shell museum sounded fun, my husband frowned on it.

Missouri
Level Contributor
758 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timer staying at South Seas.

You REALLY need to verify that you are renting through South Seas. Like rojamg says.........if you're not renting through South Seas that resort fee is going to be $75 per person per day. That's $275 a day for the 5 of you.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timer staying at South Seas.

There is a huge difference in price point between Villas, Bayside or Tennis VIllas are located at the very Southern end of the resort and are considered budget minded. The Harbourside Villas are near Marina, Beach Villas beach front, etc...

I would make certain you have booked what you have intended to book.

In regard to amenity fees, if you booked through resort, 4 adults and 1 child will rack up $377 in resort fees in five days. ( 18.87 per day per adult including the tax)

and just correcting the math above, It's $75 per person plus tax per day when not renting through South Seas Island Resort, children 16 and under are free, so $300 per day or $1500 plus tax for 5 days. INSANE!

Mentioned in this post
South Seas Island Resort
South Seas Island Resort
3,665 Reviews
Captiva Island, FL
Missouri
Level Contributor
758 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timer staying at South Seas.

Math was never my strong suit..........

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st timer staying at South Seas.

I'm sure it was just a typo!

I was just making mention of the FREE child.

I hope I didn't offend you, you know I love ya!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st timer staying at South Seas.

There is a back door to South Seas fees. Rent a timeshare. Most, Plantation Beach Club excluded, timeshare properties come with resort amenity access at nominal rates. So you CAN have your keylime pie and eat it too.

Co Durham
Level Contributor
95 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st timer staying at South Seas.

Hi how do you do that ? Have you got any links?

Thanks

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st timer staying at South Seas.

Southseastimeshares.com

Get answers to your questions about Captiva Island