We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any updates on Red Tide issues on Captiva?

Boynton Beach...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Any updates on Red Tide issues on Captiva?

We are scheduled to check in Thursday at South Seas. What are the beaches like right now? When we arrive winds are supposed to shift and be out of the west, my concern is this brings the dead fish, red tide/algae back to the shore.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

10 replies to this topic
Fort Wayne
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any updates on Red Tide issues on Captiva?

Beaches are perfect at the moment: Little to no red tide effects. My family and I are there right now, staying on Chapin Lane. We arrived the evening of the 4th and there was a slight lingering fishy smell in the air, with occasional small dead fish at the shoreline. Yesterday we spent the whole afternoon on the beach and noticed zero dead fish, zero respiratory effects, clear water. Enjoy your stay!

Chicago
Level Contributor
183 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any updates on Red Tide issues on Captiva?

Take a look at Instagram #redtide for real information. It’s unsafe to go in the water.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
234 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any updates on Red Tide issues on Captiva?

purple flag up today, so it says online

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any updates on Red Tide issues on Captiva?

My wife is on Captiva now. Drive over causeway very unpleasant. Captiva smells a little fishy but no respiratory distress. Wind blowing Red Tide out but blowing dead algae up against the bay side. Stormy this afternoon so she hasn't had any beach time. Andy Rosse is a ghost town. Lots of cancellations according to our rental management folks.

Fort Wayne
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any updates on Red Tide issues on Captiva?

There have been cancellations due to panic, sure, but the village and beaches are no ghost town. Yesterday (Weds.) was the only day since my family and I arrived last weekend that there were red tide effects on beach-goers here, at least in the area between Mucky Duck and Chapel By the Sea. There were dead fish washing up yesterday and hardly anyone on the beach. There was nothing more noticeable in the water by late afternoon, and work crews were expected to clean up the beaches by this morning. Haven’t been out yet today, but I’m optimistic.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
234 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any updates on Red Tide issues on Captiva?

Cancellations are not due to panic! Cancellations are due to the reality of the situation and healthy thinking!

Chicago
Level Contributor
183 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any updates on Red Tide issues on Captiva?

As far as a ghost town.,, the corner store on ande Ross lane is always closed the month of September.

They are closing on August 11 until October. It is directly because of so few tourists. Get your key lime pie! Also having wine tasting and discounts August 10-11 with all sales going to the clean captins organization. Come and buy something! From 4-6pm.

9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any updates on Red Tide issues on Captiva?

Do you mean The Island Store?

Chicago
Level Contributor
183 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any updates on Red Tide issues on Captiva?

Yes it will close at end of day this Saturday August 11 till October 1! Why? No one here, not worth it to stay open. Sorry that’s the truth.

9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any updates on Red Tide issues on Captiva?

Any updates today for beach conditions on Captiva near the library?

Reply to: Any updates on Red Tide issues on Captiva?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted