We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maybe not cancelling southseas resort vacation

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
238 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
maybe not cancelling southseas resort vacation

I have 5 days to decide what to do. According to todays the latest MOTE report it appears conditions on Captiva have improved. No red drift, no dead fish, no beach debris. Yet there is slight respiratory irritation reported and yellow flag.Can anyone confirm conditions have improved?

24 replies to this topic
Chicago
Level Contributor
184 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maybe not cancelling southseas resort vacation

Hi

I’m checking in today at a house in the village. I’ll let you know. Spent yesterday in Fort Meyers and the weather was great! Didn’t go to the beach.

Fingers crossed.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: maybe not cancelling southseas resort vacation

I'll be down Tues.

Chicago
Level Contributor
184 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maybe not cancelling southseas resort vacation

HI

I'm here at Captiva, checked into our house very close to the village, yet we are bayside. Captiva is less than a 1/2 mile wide so you can be from gulf to bay in 6-7 minutes. We settled in and walked to the gulf right at Mucky Duck on Ande Rosse lane. When we first walked to the gulf it was definitely a fishy smell, did we get use to it or did it get better? As we walked to the beach we talked to some boaters who just docked and said it was awful in the water. Sanibel MUCH worse, we also talked to a local person at the beach store and asked them can we goin the water? Two young men said absolutely not!!! People are getting very sick.

We have a great pool and are enjoying our place, so in the end I'm so happy we didn't cancel. However if this is your first time to captiva and your really into the gulf I would not come.

I will try to post every day as to the conditions.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
238 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: maybe not cancelling southseas resort vacation

Thanks for the update. Please do.

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: maybe not cancelling southseas resort vacation

Dont cancel. The weather is perfect, water is clear, and very few dead fish. There is a fishy smell by the marina but not bad on beach side. Captiva has obviously been spared.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
238 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: maybe not cancelling southseas resort vacation

Thanks. Our timeshare is right next to the marina. How bad is the smell there? Are there dead fish floating around by the marina?

Chicago
Level Contributor
184 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: maybe not cancelling southseas resort vacation

I only walked by South seas didn’t go to the marina. However I went down to McCartys marina which is bayside and there is a terrible smell and dozens and dozens of dead puffer fish, snakes and midsize fish. Luckily we are bayside but not on the bay, we are across the street and our pool is in the back closer to the beach side.

My adult daughter has asthma and not experiencing any respiratory problems. Once your outside the fishy smell does go away or I guess we get use to it?

Hope my report helps.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: maybe not cancelling southseas resort vacation

NOAA weather forecast calls for easterly winds thru Thurs.. Should keep red tide out to sea until then.

Fort Wayne
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: maybe not cancelling southseas resort vacation

Yesterday morning there were a lot of dead fish floating around the docks at Jensen’s marina. Beaches are perfect, though, as others have said.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
238 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: maybe not cancelling southseas resort vacation

Thanks/. Did you swim in the water? We have 2 weeks at Harbourview villas which is right on the marina, up near the southseas golf course. Has anyone been up that way and are there lots of dead fish up there and does it smell?

Reply to: maybe not cancelling southseas resort vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Captiva Island