We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning to fellow travelers about terrible rental experience

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Warning to fellow travelers about terrible rental experience

Our family meets in Naples every few years or so and we usually rent a house. We've had lovely experiences in the past, until this year.

We rented a home in Naples that we found online and went through the proceedings, emailing back and forth with the owner and sending our money in to them. When asking about a detail of the house -- we could never get in touch with them by phone, incidentally, but only via email -- it came to light that all of the information they'd sent us was not for the house we'd originally asked for, and not for the house we signed a contract regarding. They said it was a 'typo' on the contract and that the house we requested and were told was available had been rented to someone else. Everything on the contract -- the address listed in numerous places -- was for the house we wanted, that has no been rented to someone else.

This was all so worrying that when we asked for details about the new rental we'd been given, the owners kept beating around the bush and became increasingly volatile.

Long story short: we probably won't get our money back. We're switching to suites in a hotel instead and I don't know if we'll rent a house in Naples again. This experience has burned us.

Travelers, beware of naplesparkrentals.com.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Warning to fellow travelers about terrible rental experience

If you signed a contract, you have legal recourse. Please seek the advice of an attorney, and report these folks to the Better Business Bureau -- they will be able to guide you toward the proper authorities who would handle a criminal investigation.

Naples, FL
Level Contributor
89 posts
92 reviews
2. Re: Warning to fellow travelers about terrible rental experience

Which house were you trying to rent and then which one did they switch you to? Or did they not say which one you would be moved to?

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
3. Re: Warning to fellow travelers about terrible rental experience

Thank you for the advice. We plan to do just that, although it will not be easy.

We were supposed to be in the Ian. All contracts were for that house and that specific street address. We were then informed that it was all a 'typo' and that we were actually in the Beatrice. Two different websites (not naplesparkrentals.com) listed the Beatrice as being $100 less per week than the Ian. When we asked for a refund of this amount if we were being switched houses, this was refused.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Warning to fellow travelers about terrible rental experience

What website was the Beatrice on? I did not like their website at naplesparkrentals.com as it seemed vague and did not list much information. That and the fact that they are not even based in Naples but somewhere in Massachusetts.

I hope things work out for you.

Good luck

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
5. Re: Warning to fellow travelers about terrible rental experience

mama924, I agree with you about the website and everything. Believe me, I'd give anything not to have ever initiated dealings with this company!

Here are two other websites that list the Beatrice for $100 cheaper than she charged us:

homeaway.com/USA/…p75987.htm

http://www.findvacationrentals.com/10209

One of them has an entirely different name listed as the contact person.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Warning to fellow travelers about terrible rental experience

I noticed the different name immediately. Cheryl and Michael were on the naplesparkrentals.com and Tammi was on the Homeaway site and Michael on the other. At least the name Michael is consistant.

Did you pay in full for this property? When is your travel date? Are you within the alloted days of the cancellation policy? I believe that the Naplesparkrentals site states you get a 75% booking refund if cancelled before 45 days of check in. Be persistent. If they are a legitimate owner they should do the right thing. You did the right thing by posting you situation here and warning others. I hope things work out.

Meanwhile, Bellasera is a great suite resort as is Park Shore Resort and the Edgewater Hotel. Naples Bay Resort is brand new so I don't know too much about it but it's suppose to be beautiful. They are all on google if you want to check them out.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Annette

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
7. Re: Warning to fellow travelers about terrible rental experience

Thanks so much, Annette. Unfortunately, we are leaving this weekend to travel to Naples, so it's not even within their allotted time frame for refunds.

The scary thing is we would never have caught the mistake unless I asked for details about bedding, so we would've driven 20+ hours only to arrive at the wrong house, the one we originally requested and signed the contract for.

The worst part is the owner's unbelievably volatile manner. When we noticed the mistake that they claimed was a typo, and when they told us that the house we'd signed the contract for had already been rented to someone else, we started asking questions and expressed our concerns and were immediately met with accusations of being angry and threatening. We were none of those things. Had the owners admitted right away that they made a huge mistake and gave the house we'd contracted to someone else and had they been really up-front and straight-forward about the other house and reasonable to talk to, most of this could have been avoided.

Honestly, I am posting this here to hopefully save other Naples visitors the ridiculous hassle this has turned into for my family.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Warning to fellow travelers about terrible rental experience

Well thank you for informing everyone of your unfortunate situation. I hope this does not put a damper on your vacation and you have a wondeful time in Naples. Have a safe trip and enjoy!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
9. Re: Warning to fellow travelers about terrible rental experience

beegirly, sorry about the terrible experience you had and thank you about warning us. Hope you still will have a wonderful vacation and will recover the monies you spent. In case that you will be looking for other rentals in the future, www.vacationrentals.com, www.vrbo.com and www.homeaway.com all guarantee your rental for up to $5000 if you register the trip within a short time of making the reservation. This service is offered free of charge to the renters.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
10. Re: Warning to fellow travelers about terrible rental experience

Thanks, MiamiMimi!

I wish we'd used one of those services in retrospect. In the future, I seriously doubt we'll ever rent a house again online. This has just been such a terrible experience dealing with the woman who owns the company.

We will most likely stick to hotels, sadly.