We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days in Miami with 3 kids

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
2 Days in Miami with 3 kids

We arrive late September for 3 nights (so 2 full days). We are staying Mid Beach and want to do the following:

- Swim at the beach

- Everglades airboat tour

- Little Havana/Wynwood (bit of a wonder & visit a brewery for hubby)

- Biscayne Bay Boat Tour

- Drive to Bahia Honda State Park

We can have a hire car for both days but wondering if one of the days we need to do an organised tour? Thoughts? How should we best plan our days? Thx!

Mentioned in this post
Little Havana
Little Havana
2,285 Reviews
Miami, FL
Wynwood
Wynwood
1,703 Reviews
Miami, FL
18 replies to this topic
Warren, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Days in Miami with 3 kids

Wow, a lot to do in 2 days. Getting to the everglades will take over an hour. I've never done the boat ride so I don't know how much time that will take. Figure an hour coming back plus eating and most of the day is gone. Rush hour traffic is the worst I've experienced anywhere in the US. Plan for that.. I'd do the state park down in the keys the same day you do the Everglades. . Now the MacArther bridge is under construction ( 5th st ) so that adds an additional headache. I did the Miami River tour, Very informative but it also will take 3 hours out of your day. Wynwood might be more interesting than Little Havana and its closer to miami beach.

Mentioned in this post
Wynwood
Wynwood
1,703 Reviews
Miami, FL
Little Havana
Little Havana
2,285 Reviews
Miami, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
15,539 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Days in Miami with 3 kids

Kids ages ? Context of your visit ? Arriving from ? Departing to ? Dates ? Bahia Honda is still recovering from the effects of last years hurricane.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Days in Miami with 3 kids

Objets

Kids ages ? 11, 8 & 5

Context of your visit ? Holiday, possibly only time we will make it to Miami as coming from Australia.

Arriving from ? Will be in Orlando the week prior and drive from there via a stop at FL for shopping/beach.

Departing to ? Leave Miami to LA then Hawaii

Dates ? End of September

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Days in Miami with 3 kids

Thanks Peter, appreciate that info.

There seem to be a few tours that combine some of these things so might be easier to do that than by ourselves? Then we just do the drive to the State Park by ourselves.

We read on some forums that the state park is probably the furthest you want to drive in a day with kids but still get to see overseas highway & stops along the way.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37,679 posts
622 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Days in Miami with 3 kids

"Drive to Bahia Honda State Park "

Any reason you want to go here? Hopefully the algae doesn't smell the same still.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Days in Miami with 3 kids

Just as a turnaround point (we saw recommended in forums) as we won’t go all the way to key west. We wanted to see the overseas highway/stop at spots along the way 😊👍

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
15,539 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Days in Miami with 3 kids

What are your backup plans in case of weather ? Sept is still very hot/rainy and buggy. 5yo might not enjoy the airboat, is it a requirement ? How early can you get going ? How late can you return ?

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Days in Miami with 3 kids

Bahia Honda State Park is still mostly closed and was destroyed in Hurricane Irma. Only a small area is open. The famous beach there, sandspur beach, is gone. Estimates are that most of the park will be closed until summer 2019. I don’t think it’s worth the drive or the admission fee.

Keep in mind that September is the height of the rainy season. We often get torrential rain in The Keys that month and driving all over may not be very pleasant. The Everglades will be extremely hot, humid and likely wet. Go early in the morning to avoid the worse heat and rain, but bring lots of bug spray and have alternate plans.

I’m not trying to be negative, but you should be aware of what September often brings so you are not disappointed.

In my opinion, there is loads to do in Miami and Miami Beach to fill up two days without driving hours each way.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Days in Miami with 3 kids

If it’s raining heaps we would do something else but since we aren’t likely to get back here we want to do an airboat ride. Our 5 year old (3rd child) is a bit of a tomboy so will be fine.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Days in Miami with 3 kids

SDT, is there somewhere else we could drive to and turn around earlier? The whole overseas highway is one of the things I’ve been keen to tick off my list as intrigued, love driving & seeing the scenery.

Unfortunately can’t time our trip with the perfect weather so hoping we get a good run at it.

Not interested in museums or aquariums etc just sightseeing/seeing things we won’t see at home.

Reply to: 2 Days in Miami with 3 kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted