We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Beach Miami solo female

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
South Beach Miami solo female

Hi! I'm a young woman in her early twenties travelling to Miami alone for just over a week and I'm planning to stay in South Beach in September 2018.

I'm kind of nervous because I'm coming from England alone and I've never travelled to the states before, especially alone. I was wondering how safe it is for me to walk round at day/night alone and what are the best things to do for a young female solo traveller?

Also, any advice on good places to meet other people (apart from hostels) that are also travelling alone as I'd like to meet others that could accompany me and see the city in depth with the short time I have there.

Thank you!

11 replies to this topic
Florida
Level Contributor
401 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Beach Miami solo female

Ocean Drive between 5th Street & 15th Street offers

high concentration of Art Deco hotels, look in their

lobbies, too, if architecture-design interests you,

Lincoln Road pedestrian mall offers shopping-dining;

both are safe day & evening; IMO, don't wear

expensive watch-jewelry, don't respond much to

guys flirting or acting unusually friendly;

evenings stay to busier streets,

not isolated darker residential roads...

Washington, Collins, Alton are other

busier roads in South Beach...

Warren, New Jersey
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Beach Miami solo female

Your message sounds like you are looking for a place to meet other people that you can befriend. South Beach is like any other small city. There will be lots of guys looking, late at night in many of the clubs that stay open until 4 am. The older, small hotels along Collins have very reasonable nite rates ($80-$160). Other Hotels that are nicer charge over $250 or $300/ nite. What you do all depends upon what you like to do. Drinking and partying late at night or going on nature hikes in the Everglades or just sitting on the beach, getting a tan ( or burn). A few hints, don't expect SoBe to be a friendly place . People here are transient and from other countries. Ocean Blvd. is full or tourists and pricey. Lincoln Rd. is a bit nicer and also try Espanola Way ( about 15th st. between Washington and Pennsylvania). You should not need a car. Parking here is a pain...they love to tow.

Warren, New Jersey
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Beach Miami solo female

Your message sounds like you are looking for a place to meet other people that you can befriend. South Beach is like any other small city. There will be lots of guys looking, late at night in many of the clubs that stay open until 4 am. The older, small hotels along Collins have very reasonable nite rates ($80-$160). Other Hotels that are nicer charge over $250 or $300/ nite. What you do all depends upon what you like to do. Drinking and partying late at night or going on nature hikes in the Everglades or just sitting on the beach, getting a tan ( or burn). A few hints, don't expect SoBe to be a friendly place . People here are transient and from other countries. Ocean Blvd. is full or tourists and pricey. Lincoln Rd. is a bit nicer and also try Espanola Way ( about 15th st. between Washington and Pennsylvania). You should not need a car. Parking here is a pain...they love to tow.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Beach Miami solo female

Hi Ivana>

Can you tell me where you're staying on South Beach and your trip dates so I can help you find fun things to do?

Also, just above this post is a search field for the forums. If you type in the word SOLO, you will get all the recent answers to questions about solo travel.

Please let me know what sorts of things interest you - from spas and shopping to museums and animals... what sort of music you like and what activities you enjoy on holiday.

AG

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: South Beach Miami solo female

Hi Ivana. I just came across your post and I am traveling alone. My name is Taja and this will be my first time travelling alone and i am extremely nervous. The main reason I chose this location is because I’ve always wanted to go to Miami and my birthday is on 2nd September aswell. I am flying to Fort Lauderdale on 31st August to 17th September. I haven’t booked any accommodation yet as I was trying to find somewhere at price I could afford. I found somewhere last night on air bnb just waiting for the host to reply to me. It has everything basically kitchen, tv, WiFi etc and it’s local to a lot of things. I’m aiming to stay as close to Hollywood beach or a short taxi ride from there as I believe most of the beaches and aventura mall is near there. Keep in touch 😊

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
103 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Beach Miami solo female

as long as you are normal cautious, like you would in any other larger city, then i wouldnt say miami beach is any diffrent from ex some parts of london. Avoid beaches late evening/night. Stay to public area, meeting new ppl is a part of solo traveling,so dont be to afraid.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,843 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Beach Miami solo female

Don't hang out late at night or go to the wrong places on South Beaches and you would be ok.

Level Contributor
1 post
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Beach Miami solo female

I’ll be in south beach solo 8-31 through the 2nd we should link up

Somerville...
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Beach Miami solo female

My advice would be to stay away from the Ocean Drive scene. It's very touristy and oriented toward groups of party-goers. If you like a chill atmosphere, go a bit North around 41st and Collins and find the Freehand Hostel. (It's across from Indian Creek.) They have a chill tropical courtyard where the Broken Shaker bar is located. It's a nice scene with people of all ages pretty much minding their business. If I were your age and travelling alone, I'd hang out here. Lincoln Road is nice in the evenings. I like Books & Books cafe. Use common sense and stick to areas where people are mingling and you should be safe.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: South Beach Miami solo female

Hi ivana,

I'm planning a spontaneous solo trip to Miami on the 5th of September. This would be my first solo trip so I'm a little apprehensive as well. Looking for a hostel around south beach. I'm in my 20s as well and If our dates cross at all (sept 5-13) & you would like to meet up let me know.

x

Anika

Reply to: South Beach Miami solo female
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted