We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami airport connection - HELP!!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Miami airport connection - HELP!!!!!

Hi. Please can someone help me?

My husband & I are scheduled to arrive in MIA from London at 16.05 on 22/4 in concourse E. Last month we booked an AA connecting flight to Aruba on the same day departing at 19.35 which gave us plenty of time to claim our baggage and check in for our onward journey.

This morning I received a notification advising that the AUA flight is now departing at 18.00hrs! I called AA to find out which concourse the flight will be departing from & they don't have that information on their systems!?

Plus the representative told me that we will have plenty of time to make the other flight. Just under two hours is pushing it in my book.

Can anybody out there shed any light please? Is the airport as big as LHR? I have never been to MIA airport & have no idea what to expect, is customs clearance efficient?

The next AUA flight leaves at 11.30am the following morning, our hotel in AUA is already paid for and I don't really want to miss out on a night and most of the 23rd.

I am sure that we won't be the only passengers on the VA flight to be against the clock and we may be lucky enough to be allowed to make a dash.

ANY ADVICE PLEASE????

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami airport connection - HELP!!!!!

If there are no other options, I would cross my fingers and go with it. If your flight is on time, and there is not a huge line at immigration, it is doable (those are big ifs). If you miss the flight, have them book you on the next.

Miami is also the worst airport that I have ever been in for signage. If you follow the signs, they will have you running in circles. Get good directions from somebody once you land.

I loved Aruba when I was there the last time. I hope I get another chance to go back.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami airport connection - HELP!!!!!

It is cutting it close, though not impossible. I don't think MIA is as bad as LHR for getting around but be prepared not to get lost.

If I am not mistaken, the airline should be liable for putting you up overnight if you miss your flight due to late arrival (assuming this is all booked as a single initinerary). They have some outs if the delay is weather related.

All things considered stick with the plan but be prepared. Have the airport map with you, overnight clothes, etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami airport connection - HELP!!!!!

Thank you!

AA have put a note on their system about us arriving from LHR & advised us to tell Virgin Atlantic to check us in all the way as they have an agreement with them even though we booked our flights separately.

I called Virgin and they said it's at the discretion of the ground check in staff and they cannot provide us with that information in advance for security reasons.

Let's hope VA make some headway and that the AA flight gets delayed.

Thanks again for the tips surffishfla & rk2005, we'll do some homework on Miami airport.

Lichfield Uk
Level Contributor
108 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami airport connection - HELP!!!!!

Miami airport is nowhere near as big as LHR & much easier to get around. We were there 2 weeks ago & had the shortest time through immigration we have ever had at a US airport - lots of desks open & queues of no more than 7 or 8 people at each. We were through immigration, collected luggage, through customs & out of the airport less than an hour after our BA flight landed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miami airport connection - HELP!!!!!

Thanks Jorich. That's reassuring. I'll make sure I'm in athletic mode just in case.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,899 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Miami airport connection - HELP!!!!!

I've done many international connections through miami and i must say that the immigration line is very slow. When you land, try to get an short connection flag (bright orange ticket folder) from the gate agents. When the lines are long they open up a line for people w short connections. If you do miss your flight, aa can re-route you through sju or stt so you can arrive in aruba the same day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miami airport connection - HELP!!!!!

Nytoparis. Thanks for your message - it looks as though flights from SJU & STT to AUA all go via MIA too.

We are gonna go with the flow.

If VA check our luggage in all the way I don't think we will have any issues. At least we are prepared for hiccups this way.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miami airport connection - HELP!!!!!

We've had luggage checked through to Central America, but still had to clear security and identify the luggage at some sort of luggage transit area, before it was loaded onto the connecting flight.

On a different international connecting flight we've had to clear security and immigration, take a train ride "somewhere", then "back again", through security and onto a plane at the stand next to the one we'd just got off ... That plane was held, but I think it was because it was on the same airline and it was waiting for more people from the transatlantic flight.

Not saying this will happen to you, and I'm sure two hours will be fine - just be prepared for a bit of running around!

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miami airport connection - HELP!!!!!

Thank you CymraesUn.

I'm sure we won't be the only passengers in this predicament (or at least hope not!)

Gosh, this is going to be some adventure!

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Miami airport connection - HELP!!!!!

Please do let us know how it turned out. good luck.