We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a Car or Uber/ Lyft?

3 posts
Rent a Car or Uber/ Lyft?

We are going on a family vacation for Christmas, we are taking a Cruise. However we will be from the 20th to the 22nd in Miami before the Cruise and from the 30th to the 2nd of January after the Cruise. We are a large family, my family (4) my aunt's (5) and my uncle (5). Parking at the hotels is crazy expensive plus the price per day that we will have to pay for the car so I was wondering if i would be cheaper and better to just uber since our plans are to stay in Miami the whole time until we flight back home from fort Lauderdale ( probably there we have to rent a car, for that one trip?)

Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
402 Reviews
from US$ 49.99*
US$ 75.00
Best Seller
Speedboat Sightseeing Tour of Miami
189 Reviews
from US$ 38.00*
2 replies to this topic
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
16,062 posts
263 reviews
1. Re: Rent a Car or Uber/ Lyft?

What are your plans while in Miami ? Where are you staying ?

Warren, New Jersey
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Rent a Car or Uber/ Lyft?

I've rented a car a number of times in the MIA area and have had one bad experience. After I extended the time I needed the car, the company changed my rate and I ended up paying 70% higher than the quoted rate. Another time, we had problems with insurance.Some companies require that you show them physical proof of comprehensive insurance and then they might even require a deposit to cover the deductible your policy may have. I am fearful of the car rental agencies. They even attempt to over charge you when selling you a sun pass to move around on the toll road. Parking in south beach is also scary. Its expensive and if you make a mistake, they love to tow and they make big $$$$ on towing. There is the Tri-rail that runs from MIA to Fll . It cost about $4.00? per person. Airport to airport. We took an uber from FLL to miami beach. Two people pool and it was only $19. That's the best rate I've experienced.

Reply to: Rent a Car or Uber/ Lyft?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted